Harrodsburg's "Indian Attack 5K"

Jim Schue

This event — formally and formerly known as the "James Ray 5K - Indian Attack" — has drawn national ire, apparently, from native American support groups, forcing organizers to drop the "Indian" aspect of it.

I spotted the story in today's CJ.

Ky. festival scraps ?Indian Attack? from 5K

An online registration form for the “James Ray 5K - ‘Indian Attack’” race suggests runners come in costume and tells them they “can either run or walk, but don’t be surprised if you encounter some obstacles and come under attack when Indians chase you to the finish!”

This is centered around the Mercer Co. Pioneer Days event in two weeks.

Awesome. This is like 10 minutes from my house. I think I'll put on a headdress and paint and run in this.

Go to the 1:08 mark, if it doesn't start there automatically. Dabney Coleman might as well be speaking about you, if you actually go through with it. Lots of national attention on this to see how the organizers follow through with it. I'd hate to see you get beat-down by some peaceful Native American activists.

Go to the 1:08 mark, if it doesn't start there automatically. Dabney Coleman might as well be speaking about you, if you actually go through with it. Lots of national attention on this to see how the organizers follow through with it. I'd hate to see you get beat-down by some peaceful Native American activists.

I doubt there will be "indians" chasing people. I'm like you though...always interesting to see how it's handled

I've been in this area since 1998 and I have heard of Pioneer Days but not this event. Interesting.

I've lived here since 2007 and I've never heard of this before either. And I even run in 5-10 5K's a year. That seems odd to me.

I've been in this area since 1998 and I have heard of Pioneer Days but not this event. Interesting.

Here's the kicker: From everything I've read, last year was the first one and it was a big hit. Repeating: In 2014, someone thought it would be a good idea to dress white people up like native Americans and have them chase down runners in the final stretch, presumably wielding realistic-looking tomahawks and full headdress/face paint.

I am not the most politically correct person, but really. Somebody thought that was a good idea to start this up in an era where the Washington Redskins are public enemy No. 1 in the sports world.

Here's the kicker: From everything I've read, last year was the first one and it was a big hit. Repeating: In 2014, someone thought it would be a good idea to dress white people up like native Americans and have them chase down runners in the final stretch, presumably wielding realistic-looking tomahawks and full headdress/face paint.

I am not the most politically correct person, but really. Somebody thought that was a good idea to start this up in an era where the Washington Redskins are public enemy No. 1 in the sports world.

:lol2: :lol2:

It all makes sense now. No wonder I hadn't heard of it. :lol2:

Awesome. This is like 10 minutes from my house. I think I'll put on a headdress and paint and run in this.

Yeah, I'm offended by running.