Raceland, Russell Pass Eye Test in Russell-Hosted 7 on 7 Tourney

Ram

Rams, Devils pass eye test in Russell-hosted 7-on-7 tourney

Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2015 11:51 pm | Updated: 11:52 pm, Tue Jul 28, 2015.

Aaron Snyder / The Independent

Russell football coach T.J. Maynard was perhaps the most interested onlooker as his team hosted a 7-on-7 passing tournament this past weekend.

With just two practices under the Red Devils’ belts, Maynard tossed expectations out the window.

When Russell narrowly lost to Wheelersburg in overtime of the finals on Friday, Maynard couldn’t help but be pleased.

“Consider we had only one defensive practice and one offensive practice, it was good to see how much we retained from the previous year,” said Russell’s second-year coach.

Link

It was a good tourney. Raceland has gone 16-1 or 17-1 in the 2 passing tourneys and definitely improved from the Raceland 7 on 7 to the Russell tourney. I do not think that these tourneys show you much with regards to how good your team will be in the Fall but it sure gets you reps, helps your DB's and LB's and let's you compete against someone other than your own guys. Plus, hosting a tourney makes the team a little money.

In my opinion 7 on 7s are basically a good tool for whatever your team is looking at. Got a new QB? Let's see how good he reads the field. Got a new corner? Let's see how well he covers the flats. It's all in what you make of it. Everyone frowns on it because the defense knows it gonna be 100% pass but lineman do Oklahoma Drills and such when they know it's gonna be 100% run. In Russell's case they lost corners and linebackers so I'm sure they just want to see who can get to the ball quickly and angles to the ball so in their case I'm sure it's a good thing.

I feel similar to 7 vs. 7 as I do towards most team's scrimmages

It tells you essentially nothing in terms of which team will beat which team come the regular season... but it does give a very good guage towards the makeup of a team.

If Russell beats Lawrence County in 7 on 7...LC may beat them come Regular Season... but if you watch Russell you can see if they have team speed, if they have guys with high football IQ, if they have a QB with a cannon of an arm, if they have receivers who can make a play in the air.... in other words you can judge potential.

By that same token..if two teams scrimmage in a 10 play format and it is a close scrimmage but neither team looks impressive physically or from an execution standpoint..it may be safe to judge their potential lower.

If one team physically dominates the other... it may be safe to put one team's potential higher, but it doesn't mean the lesser team should pack in their title hopes.

If both teams play at very high level and pass the eye test..odds are both have high potential.

Based off the reports from this 7 on 7 it sounds safe to me to say Raceland and Russell both have strong potential.

It was a good tourney. Raceland has gone 16-1 or 17-1 in the 2 passing tourneys and definitely improved from the Raceland 7 on 7 to the Russell tourney. I do not think that these tourneys show you much with regards to how good your team will be in the Fall but it sure gets you reps, helps your DB's and LB's and let's you compete against someone other than your own guys. Plus, hosting a tourney makes the team a little money.

:thumb:

We did lose 3 excellent and experienced DB's but this year's bunch seems pretty good. They'll have additional help with our front 7 rushing throws and causing quick throws. This will aid them with their coverage. Coaches are getting them ready.