Another Planned Parenthood executive discussing the sale of "tissue".

All Tell

The speed of which there was a vote on Capitol Hill to defund Planned Parenthood is remarkable, yet it takes months to do anything that involves the real running of our country.

I guess liberals are hoping that women who don't want children right now will use contraceptives, so they will not have think about abortion. Being a liberal I know for a fact we aren't pushing for more abortions.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is it that contraceptives for women are sacrosanct to liberals? On a related note why do liberals feel that women should get contraceptives for free? Why is it that liberals can't accept that maybe Planned Parenthood should get 100% of their funding from private sources? Why is it that liberals can't see that even though on paper no tax dollars may directly fund abortions at Planned Parenthood by receiving the tax money they get it allows more money from other sources to be used for abortion services. An analogy' date=' I want season tickets for the upcoming college football season but I also need new tires for my car, I can't afford both. My parents give me the money to pay for the football tickets and I'm able to buy the tires. My parents didn't pay 1 cent for the tires but because of the money they gave me I was able o get them.[/quote']

You have been vocal in this thread.

Help me out with my questions.

I have not read anything in this thread and really haven't paid too much attention to this issue so forgive me if this has been discussed. A few questions: 1. Was PP "selling for profit" or donating and recovering their costs? I've heard the latter. 2. What were they doing that was illegal? Maybe that's part of #1 . 3. Reactions to Indiana Republican governor Pence ordering an investigation after a video and the state Board of Health finding no wrongdoing? 4. PP says only 3% of their activities involve abortion. Gov Jindal in Louisiana today announced no more Medicaid funding for PP. Is he hurting his population by cutting off valuable services to the state's poor? 5. Isn't there already a ban on federal funds being used for abortions?

Total incoming money between income, donations, and govt funding was about $1B. Income from abortive services represents about 17% of that. The 3% number is based simply on number of services.

I am by no means a fan of PP but they do provide some very valuable services in the way of education, healthcare and preventative birth control. Very good questions have been raised that I would like to have answered before we try to defund them.

Have any of the videos been released unedited?

The other item I'd mention is that any time there's edited video we should all be cynical.

We do all agree this video was edited, correct? If so, how are we making definitive conclusions?

They released all the unedited footage so no we can't agree.

As all news outlets do yes there was an edited version to make it easier to consume. But watching the full version doesn't change the substance.

I have not read anything in this thread and really haven't paid too much attention to this issue so forgive me if this has been discussed.

A few questions:

1. Was PP "selling for profit" or donating and recovering their costs? I've heard the latter.

2. What were they doing that was illegal? Maybe that's part of #1 .

3. Reactions to Indiana Republican governor Pence ordering an investigation after a video and the state Board of Health finding no wrongdoing?

4. PP says only 3% of their activities involve abortion. Gov Jindal in Louisiana today announced no more Medicaid funding for PP. Is he hurting his population by cutting off valuable services to the state's poor?

5. Isn't there already a ban on federal funds being used for abortions?

On 1 and 2 that is the problem and against the law. Leaders of PP are seen on camera negotiating a price. If they weren't looking for profit then wouldn't the price be fixed to cover costs. Why discuss what you will buy with the profits.

In the video released today the fifth video. PP leaders says not all PP locations have this program because some locations don't think it legal.

So if locations inside of PP think this may be illegal why shouldn't the rest of us or at the very least have a full scale investigation.

The whole 3% of services for abortions bugs me. If they have .01% then they should not receive a single tax dollar.

One more thing to consider before I head off to la-la land.

A big emphasis of PP for 40 or so years has been access to contraceptives. If that access is removed completely for the poor won't we have more unwanted pregnancies which will lead to even more abortions?

This isn't utopia where we can stick our head in the sand and ignore reality that women who want an abortion are going to get an abortion in many cases. If our goal is to minimize abortions (hand raised high) then shouldn't our #1 goal be to minimize unwanted pregnancies?

If we agree there shouldn't we support one of the largest providers of that service?

Arguing that abortion is evil or it's a woman's right is truly irrelevant in my mind. We need to use the church or education to help minimize the cause - unwanted pregnancies.

This feels like the flag issue in South Carolina. No thinking - just emotions running amok.

I am really shocked to see those words coming from you. So if you don't like an organization negotiating for the selling of body parts of fetuses for profit (the one doctor even uttered the words, "she wants to pay for her Lamborghini") AND getting a lot of our tax money, then you are not thinking and your emotions are running amok?!!?! Did you really just say that?

I honestly think some people just don't want to believe this stuff can happen in the US so they are sticking their heads in the sand on this one. Just incredible...

Clyde, the organization that has let the tapes out also have the entire unedited tapes out on their website if you are worried about them being edited...that is more than most organizations do when doing undercover reporting...

I'm mostly shocked so many days after this story broke Clyde of all people is pushing the edited tape narrative. It's a ridiculous position. The unedited versions are released within hours of the edited .

It's pretty obvious why edited versions are released. It's about consumption and the nature of the Internet. Notice noone has disputed the actual statements in the video .

All PP has done is attack the messenger not the message. It speaks volumes.

I have not read anything in this thread and really haven't paid too much attention to this issue so forgive me if this has been discussed.

A few questions:

1. Was PP "selling for profit" or donating and recovering their costs? I've heard the latter.

Did you watch the video(s)? One woman joked about purchasing a Lamborghini with the income. Kinda hard to do that with reimbursements.

Also, when the abortionist talks about "doing a little better than break even," you can't help but think they're doing something they're not supposed to be doing. Full text of that convo:

"Planned Parenthood: "And if they can do a little better than break even, and do so in a way that seems reasonable, they’re happy to do that....Every penny they save is a just pennies they give to another patient. To provide a service the patient wouldn’t get."

Buyer: "Because of the losses in that area."

PP: "Exactly."

2. What were they doing that was illegal? Maybe that's part of #1 .

Here's what federal law says about selling fetal tissue:

42 U.S. Code § 289g–2 - Prohibitions regarding human fetal tissue

(a) Purchase of tissue: It shall be unlawful for any person to knowingly acquire, receive, or otherwise transfer any human fetal tissue for valuable consideration if the transfer affects interstate commerce.

(e)(3) The term “valuable consideration” does not include reasonable payments associated with the transportation, implantation, processing, preservation, quality control, or storage of human fetal tissue.

Here's what California law says about selling fetal tissue

125320. (a) A person may not knowingly, for valuable consideration, purchase or sell embryonic or cadaveric fetal tissue for research purposes pursuant to this chapter.

(b) For purposes of this section, "valuable consideration" does

not include reasonable payment for the removal, processing, disposal, preservation, quality control, storage, transplantation, or

implantation of a part.

It seems to be illegal to sell across state lines and it seems to be illegal to sell beyond "reimbursement" costs give their "break even" comment.

4. PP says only 3% of their activities involve abortion

That 3% number is a farce and a way for them to dodge the fact that they perform 30% (330,000 a year) of all abortions in the country.

National Review had a good article:

Planned Parenthood's 3 Percent Abortion Statistic Misleads | National Review Online

Such cracked reasoning could be used to obscure the purpose of any organization. The sponsors of the New York City Marathon could count each small cup of water they hand out (some 2 million cups, compared with 45,000 runners) and say they are mainly in the hydration business. Or Major League Baseball teams could say that they sell about 20 million hot dogs and play 2,430 games in a season, so baseball is only .012 percent of what they do.

They perform as many Pap tests as abortion and almost as many abortions as breast-care screenings. And only 17,000 prenatal services (so PP performs 17 times more abortions).

They perform abortions. They then take those babies, carefully dismember their limbs, harvest their organs, and sell them. The most recent video showed a PP employee grabbing the limbs of an aborted fetus ready for sale.

Anyone with a shred of humanity won't relegate these unborn babies to just a 3% stat and act like they don't matter.

5. Isn't there already a ban on federal funds being used for abortions?

Funds are fungible.

A big emphasis of PP for 40 or so years has been access to contraceptives. If that access is removed completely for the poor won't we have more unwanted pregnancies which will lead to even more abortions?

This feels like the flag issue in South Carolina. No thinking - just emotions running amok.

Few questions:

1, What percentage of services do contraceptives account for?

2. Do enough people not care about Planned Parenthood providing these services to the poor that they won't donate to PP?

3. By declaring that without government funding, poor people won't have birth control and therefore will be popping babies left and right, do you think you're playing into the whole "emotions running amok" theory?

On 1 and 2 that is the problem and against the law. Leaders of PP are seen on camera negotiating a price. If they weren't looking for profit then wouldn't the price be fixed to cover costs. Why discuss what you will buy with the profits.

Didn't the lady say several times that this was simply about covering costs and there should be no impact to the bottom line? Didn't she say the affiliates were not looking to make money?

Few questions:

1, What percentage of services do contraceptives account for?

2. Do enough people not care about Planned Parenthood providing these services to the poor that they won't donate to PP?

3. By declaring that without government funding, poor people won't have birth control and therefore will be popping babies left and right, do you think you're playing into the whole "emotions running amok" theory?

1. Here is the breakdown based on number of services provided:

STD testing/treatment: 42%

Contraception: 34%

Women's Health Services: 11%

Cancer Screening and Prevention: 9%

Abortion Services: 3%

Other: 1%

2. Not sure what you're asking. Private contributions make up about 30% of PP's revenue.

3. Short answer: no. The vast majority of health care professionals say that preventive care leads to less unwanted pregnancies AND abortions.

Didn't the lady say several times that this was simply about covering costs and there should be no impact to the bottom line? Didn't she say the affiliates were not looking to make money?

So your going to ignore the parts that show negotiating for profit and also joking about what they will spend profits on?