Casey clerk says Beshear told him to issue same-sex marriage licenses or resign

I don't see how he (the clerk) can get away with not doing it at this point. He stood up and now he needs to step back and do his job. People of Casey County will love him for standing up and he'll have a job for life.

I have read through the Kentucky Constitution and can't find anywhere that the Governor can force the County Clerk to do anything. The Clerk is an elected official and from what I can read, criminal charges would have to be brought to even begin to get the clerk removed from office.

I think the clerk needs to do his job. It seems nearly impossible in Kentucky to get someone removed from office for other than committing a crime.

Interesting that if you read the KRS, the clerk could be committing a crime by issuing the license. While I understand the SCOTUS ruling found that KRS unconstitutional, the State Legislature needs to get on the ball and change the KRS.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mandy Connell had Kenny Brown on her show today. Seems like a reasonable gentleman, with a plan to seek to change the way licenses are issued, rather than defy the current law. Very interesting insight from Mr. Brown, as well as Ms. Connell.

I need to do some research on some of the points they raised. Like, not all states issue licenses at all. What is the reason Kentucky does? If, as proposed by Mr. Brown, the process moves online, will there be a waiting period between the time the application is filled out and the time a couple receives the license?

Ms. Connell had Jack Conway on yesterday, to talk about his non-pursuit of an appeal. He stated there were no constitutional grounds, and expanded his thoughts to include that he did what he believed was right legally, and that he wanted to be on the right side of history. Today, she recounted those comments, but omitted the part about where he said he didn't pursue because he believed there was no legal grounds. She rearranged the account to say he didn't pursue only because he didn't believe. If I hadn't heard his comments yesterday, I'd have totally given half a thought to her lambasting him for following his beliefs, while trying to force others to do otherwise.

Mandy Connell had Kenny Brown on her show today. Seems like a reasonable gentleman, with a plan to seek to change the way licenses are issued, rather than defy the current law. Very interesting insight from Mr. Brown, as well as Ms. Connell.

I need to do some research on some of the points they raised. Like, not all states issue licenses at all. What is the reason Kentucky does? If, as proposed by Mr. Brown, the process moves online, will there be a waiting period between the time the application is filled out and the time a couple receives the license?

Ms. Connell had Jack Conway on yesterday, to talk about his non-pursuit of an appeal. He stated there were no constitutional grounds, and expanded his thoughts to include that he did what he believed was right legally, and that he wanted to be on the right side of history. Today, she recounted those comments, but omitted the part about where he said he didn't pursue because he believed there was no legal grounds. She rearranged the account to say he didn't pursue only because he didn't believe. If I hadn't heard his comments yesterday, I'd have totally given half a thought to her lambasting him for following his beliefs, while trying to force others to do otherwise.

Not shocked. Wonder if anyone will call her on it publicly, or have they already?

Not shocked. Wonder if anyone will call her on it publicly, or have they already?

I thought about calling in, but I was driving between Hawesville and Cloverport at the time, and cell service is sketchy through there. Didn't want my call to drop. :D. As I neared Hardinsburg I thought about sending an email. By the time I got to Rough River I was over it. :D

Good for him. He's standing up for what he feels is right and is an example for all of us to follow. When you believe in something stand up for yourself and never back down.

Now send his butt to jail and get the special election going on for a new clerk that will do their damn job.

That post should be put in the BGP hall of fame.

Perfect.