North vs. South reactions to tragic events

All Tell

This question was posed on the Mandy Connell show Wednesday and worthy of discussion here I believe.

Baltimore-A man of questionable character dies while in police custody in what may or may not have been an act of racial hatred. Civil unrest ensues resulting in property damage, curfews and in general a city in turmoil. In the aftermath controversial remarks by the prosecutor put the indictments against several officers into question as being politically motivated rather then justified by law.

Charleston-9 people who by all accounts were people of the highest moral standing are killed in an obvious act of racial hatred. The outcome there were prayer vigils, hymns being sung at protests and words of forgiveness being spoken the the accused killer by loved ones of the slain.

Mandy had a very simple reasoning for the very different reactions by the communities that can be summed up in one word and I agree with her. Discuss among yourselves why you think there were the stark differences and I'll come back later and tell you what Mandy and I both believe is the big difference.

1. Black guy killed by police officers.

2. Black folks killed by lunatic.

What exactly would the Charleston folks be protesting?

Black deaths caused by a racist. The Confederate flag at the Capitol. And before this is diverted to far away from the point of the thread there were marches in Charleston, they were peaceful. Why did they stay that way but the "peaceful" protests in Baltimore didn't?

Edited by All Tell

Switch the incidents and put the church shooting in Baltimore and the black guy killed by the police officer while in custody and you'd have mourning in Baltimore and civil unrest in Charleston.

The only common denominator in these incidents is that the victims are black.

Switch the incidents and put the church shooting in Baltimore and the black guy killed by the police officer while in custody and you'd have mourning in Baltimore and civil unrest in Charleston.

The only common denominator in these incidents is that the victims are black.

Disagree completely.

Black man murdered by police officer in S.C. No riots or civil unrest.

Black deaths caused by a racist. The Confederate flag at the Capitol. And before this is diverted to far away from the point of the thread there were marches in Charleston' date=' they were peaceful. Why did they stay that way but the "peaceful" protests in Baltimore didn't?[/quote']

Really simple answer.

Police are not supposed to murder.

People get that racist, crazy civilians do. Nothing to protest.

Disagree completely.

Black man murdered by police officer in S.C. No riots or civil unrest.

Better comparison.

Difference: Shooting was caught on video so there was no question in the black community as to the shooting being warranted or not. Police officer immediately charged.

Not the case in Baltimore.

I would add, though, that life in Baltimore is nowhere near life in Charleston for black folk.