Clyde

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Also from the article, from the Baltimore Police Commissioner:

Batts has said officers violated policy by failing to properly restrain Gray. But the president of the Baltimore police union noted that the policy mandating seat belts took effect April 3 and was e-mailed to officers as part of a package of five policy changes on April 9, three days before Gray was arrested.

Gene Ryan, the police union president, said many officers aren’t reading the new policies – updated to meet new national standards – because they think they’re the same rules they already know, with only cosmetic changes. The updates are supposed to be read out during pre-shift meetings.

Seems pretty clear that the department's policy was not followed.

It may not have been.

Could have been unintentional as some or all of these officers could have been off duty when the changes came out and had not had time to read them.

Two issues with the "new" claim by the prisoner:

1. Can a human being intentionally hit his head a)hard enough and b)often enough to paralyze himself and

2. Wouldn't his head be swollen and bloodied? Reports are that he looked fine when the truck doors were opened.

I still think the most logical explanation is that something happened when he was being chased or when he was caught.

1) Yes a human can hit his head hard enough and often enough to cause fatal injuries. It may take only one hit to the head.

2) I would think so. With some spinal injuries, there are no outward signs of injury.

I agree it most likely happened prior to being put in the wagon. It could have happened from him falling and landing wrong or it could have happened from being handled incorrectly.

I would also think if he was "roughed up" by police there would be outward signs of injury.

It may not have been.

Could have been unintentional as some or all of these officers could have been off duty when the changes came out and had not had time to read them.

According to the Commissioner it was "inexcusable" that the policy was not followed. The policies were to be read out loud during pre-shift meetings. I would imagine that if I were to travel to Maryland and break a recently changed law that claiming to not to have time to have read it would not fly very well.

I know on the railroad there are changes to rule and regulations all the time. They are posted in bulletin book or online and it is each employees responsibility to read them before beginning a tour of duty. If you have been off a day or 6 months not knowing about them are no excuse.

Any way you slice it the officers were negligent for not having him in a seat belt.

1) Yes a human can hit his head hard enough and often enough to cause fatal injuries. It may take only one hit to the head.

2) I would think so. With some spinal injuries, there are no outward signs of injury.

I agree it most likely happened prior to being put in the wagon. It could have happened from him falling and landing wrong or it could have happened from being handled incorrectly.

I would also think if he was "roughed up" by police there would be outward signs of injury.

In regards to #1 I question if a person could INTENTIONALLY go all out REPEATEDLY (as claimed later by prisoner #2 ). It's like you trying to punch yourself in the face as hard as you can. You don't. You let up every time.

#2 My question centered around the report that prisoner #2 said he was banging his head against the wall. I read that as "more than once."

In regards to #1 I question if a person could INTENTIONALLY go all out REPEATEDLY (as claimed later by prisoner #2 ). It's like you trying to punch yourself in the face as hard as you can. You don't. You let up every time.

#2 My question centered around the report that prisoner #2 said he was banging his head against the wall. I read that as "more than once."

In my experience, it is possible for a human being to REPEATEDLY and INTENTIONALLY injure themselves. If they are determined to do it, they will. I have experienced this with mentally unstable persons, persons on particular drugs, persons intoxicated on alcohol and persons quite simply in a rage.

According to the Commissioner it was "inexcusable" that the policy was not followed. The policies were to be read out loud during pre-shift meetings. I would imagine that if I were to travel to Maryland and break a recently changed law that claiming to not to have time to have read it would not fly very well.

I know on the railroad there are changes to rule and regulations all the time. They are posted in bulletin book or online and it is each employees responsibility to read them before beginning a tour of duty. If you have been off a day or 6 months not knowing about them are no excuse.

Any way you slice it the officers were negligent for not having him in a seat belt.

Never said they weren't negligent. I said it may have been unintentional.

I find it interesting that you quote this Police Commissioner when he is stating his officers were negligent. You weren't quite so supportive of the Ferguson Police Chief when he was standing up for Wilson and his other officers.

In my experience' date=' it is possible for a human being to REPEATEDLY and INTENTIONALLY injure themselves. If they are determined to do it, they will. I have experienced this with mentally unstable persons, persons on particular drugs, persons intoxicated on alcohol and persons quite simply in a rage.[/quote']

OK. I could see it if their mind was altered.

Anyone know my severed spine question?

I am beyond confused with the timeline of events. Can anyone supply that for me in a nice concise format? Only thing I know to this point is a dude ran, he was apprehended, and thrown in the back of a van and was later found dead. Does anyone else have anything definitive beyond that? Time he was in the van, did they make other stops, etc.

The Associated Press ‏@AP

BREAKING: 1 officer charged with 2nd-degree murder in Freddie Gray's death, state's attorney says.

I believe it's the driver. The other officers are being charge as well. I didn't see a full list yet.