The Courier Journal: Seven Finalists Named for Mr. Football

Ram

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I saw (Only two on the list) Beau Hoge. I think Veneman was a very good receiver that put up big numbers because of Hoge and the desire by the HHS Offensive coordinator to pad the stats. I have heard many HHS fans complain about too many dropped passes. IMO he was not the hands down best receiver in NKY. Just the one with the best stats. With that said, I would have gladly had him playing for our team.

I was thinking the same thing. I will be honest, I only saw HHS 3 times this year, but in those 3 games I did see too many dropped passes by Veneman although his speed was fun to watch. He had some great numbers but then again it seemed more than just the majority of passes went his way.

Hoge on the other hand, I think was the best QB hands down I watched all year, although I didn't see Sindelar in person. I still think it is Sindelar or Harris' to lose though.

No way Hoge is in the class with Sindelar. Exceptional football player no doubt. May be a better runner than passer. Not quite enough tools in the shed to beat out Sindelar.

You ever seen Hoge play? Might be the other way around to be honest. Hoge did not play a 2A schedule and put up tremendous numbers. Hoge has all the physical tools you want to have in a QB and the football smarts to go along with it. Cannot talk about Sindelar because I have not seen him play in person as it is pretty obvious you have not seen Hoge. Hoge is certainly in the discussion without a doubt.

No way Hoge is in the class with Sindelar. Exceptional football player no doubt. May be a better runner than passer. Not quite enough tools in the shed to beat out Sindelar.

About 3 inches is all. He's in anyone's class in KY HS football with his physical tools, football smarts and leadership skills leading to the team's success. His outstanding running overshadows his arm sometimes but he's made some throws that simply make your jaw drop. 35 td's and 3500 yards passing isn't by accident and add another 26 on the ground. It's a shame he had to wait his turn at HHS as a second year of exposure would have had many more on the bandwagon. I just don't think he has the name recognition even after leading HHS to a state championship.

I still think Harris has enough name recognition to overcome his abbreviated season in the minds of the voters.

Eli Brown is going to the US Army All American game but isn't a finalist for Mr. Football...

Drake Jackson is the #1 rated Center in the entire nation and isn't a finalist for Mr. Football...

I think those two establish that Mr. Football isn't really a gauge of how good a player you are but rather a culmination of factors, many of which surround the general success of the team you are on.

Hoge could have been a tailback and been all-state IMO, or WR. He took what the defense gave. Best 3 QB's I've seen this year in no order is Hoge, Locher (Owensboro) and Zueber (Owensboro Catholic). Locher for Owensboro was an option QB but had a ton of TD's running and plenty passing.

As far as MR football I think Hoge is in the mix.

Eli Brown is going to the US Army All American game but isn't a finalist for Mr. Football...

Drake Jackson is the #1 rated Center in the entire nation and isn't a finalist for Mr. Football...

I think those two establish that Mr. Football isn't really a gauge of how good a player you are but rather a culmination of factors, many of which surround the general success of the team you are on.

I understand Jackson due to the position he plays, I don't like it but I understand it. Would be awesome if he had made the final list and been elected as how many times has KY had the No 1 at a position?

Surprised at Brown since he played a position that gets more attention and was well known going into the season. Hard to figure him not being a finalist.

I love the fact that BGP is an opinion based site. My opinion is that you need to reevaluate yours. "Not quite enough tools in the shed". Lol! Stop it! Lol!

...on a note of who I would vote for...Hodge.

Kid was an animal...and a leader...and was like Patton in leading the troops from being crushed at halftime to being state champs. How many kids hold it together when it looks like they're halfway through getting humiliated on the biggest stage and will a team to win?

About 3 inches is all. He's in anyone's class in KY HS football with his physical tools, football smarts and leadership skills leading to the team's success. His outstanding running overshadows his arm sometimes but he's made some throws that simply make your jaw drop. 35 td's and 3500 yards passing isn't by accident and add another 26 on the ground. It's a shame he had to wait his turn at HHS as a second year of exposure would have had many more on the bandwagon. I just don't think he has the name recognition even after leading HHS to a state championship.

I still think Harris has enough name recognition to overcome his abbreviated season in the minds of the voters.

I think it is a toss up between Harris and Sindelar. The voters will have to overcome Harris' injury to give the award to him because Sindelar has put up awesome numbers. He has had a record setting season and the MVP of Caldwell by far. His TD's and passing yards are undeniable. SEASON: 3,609 yds passing; 49 passing TD's; 277.6 yds/game; 4 int; 145.5 passer rating. CAREER: 12,637 yds passing; 144 TD's; 234.0 yds/game; 135.0 passer rating. Numbers like this either haven't been done (Sindelar broke records this year - TD's career, and Consecutive games with a TD) or are in the top in most categories - Career passing yards #2, Career pass attempts #5, Career Completions #4, Career completion % #11, Season passing yards #24, Season completions #44, Season completion % #13 ,Season yds / game #24 ). Last Ky player to put up these type of numbers, in my memory, was Tim Couch (Kentucky Mr Football 1995).

Okay then....

Of the 4 that played in the Finals, who was the best one in Everyone's opinion? Who stood out more than anybody on the field? This question is for all the BGPers out there that saw all 4 players compete in the State Finals. I didn't see all 4 play so I really can't comment. I'm already a homer anyway so I can't give my opinion.

I think it is a toss up between Harris and Sindelar. The voters will have to overcome Harris' injury to give the award to him because Sindelar has put up awesome numbers. He has had a record setting season and the MVP of Caldwell by far. His TD's and passing yards are undeniable. SEASON: 3,609 yds passing; 49 passing TD's; 277.6 yds/game; 4 int; 145.5 passer rating. CAREER: 12,637 yds passing; 144 TD's; 234.0 yds/game; 135.0 passer rating. Numbers like this either haven't been done (Sindelar broke records this year - TD's career, and Consecutive games with a TD) or are in the top in most categories - Career passing yards #2, Career pass attempts #5, Career Completions #4, Career completion % #11, Season passing yards #24, Season completions #44, Season completion % #13 ,Season yds / game #24 ). Last Ky player to put up these type of numbers, in my memory, was Tim Couch (Kentucky Mr Football 1995).

What do career stats have to do with anything? This is an award for the 2014 football season. Hoge's numbers or more than comparable with those of Sindelar against a much tougher schedule.