National article about quality of teams making the playoffs

FanofMany

This came across my yahoo news links. Article titled:

"Your School Lost Every Game? Hey, Better Luck in the Postseason"

LOGANSPORT, La. — The Louisiana high school football playoffs opened last Friday, but it hardly felt encouraging as the East Iberville Tigers boarded a bus for a five-hour ride north toward certain defeat. The team was 0-10 for a second consecutive season, so overmatched that four players decided not to make the trip.

This left a squad of 15 suited up for the Tigers’ Class 1A playoff opener here, including a freshman quarterback, two eighth-graders — a safety and a lineman — and a seventh-grade receiver.

The inclusion of winless teams in the playoffs is an unintended consequence of a much-debated action that Louisiana’s principals took before the 2013 season to split public and private schools into separate playoff tournaments for football.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/20/sports/schools-that-cant-win-a-football-game-can-win-a-playoff-berth.html?action=click&contentCollection=Sports&region=Footer&module=MoreInSection&pgtype=article

How is this allowed?

This left a squad of 15 suited up for the Tigers’ Class 1A playoff opener here, including a freshman quarterback, two eighth-graders — a safety and a lineman — and a seventh-grade receiver.

Team should not be allowed to play middle schoolers in Varsity Football.

How is this allowed?

Team should not be allowed to play middle schoolers in Varsity Football.

I agree, and saw that. Kentucky has a rule in place to not allow this, but apparently Louisiana does not.

Could you imagine your 12 year old 7th grader lining up against a 17 year old Senior? Wow.

I thought that was an NFHS rule, not just a state rule.

Don't think so, the KHSAA states it in their Bylaws under "Eligibility", I don't see why they would state something in their Bylaws if it was already a rule elsewhere. But, could be.

Don't think so, the KHSAA states it in their Bylaws under "Eligibility", I don't see why they would state something in their Bylaws if it was already a rule elsewhere. But, could be.

I thought Ky changed the rules after the kid from Harrodsburg was playing in the 4th grade.

I thought Ky changed the rules after the kid from Harrodsburg was playing in the 4th grade.

That is possible, to be honest, I don't remember the reason for the change, but I remember in the early and mid 80's teams had some 8th graders dress and occasionally play.