Would a movie about abortion doctor Kermit Gosnell succeed?

Randy Parker

I wouldn't want to watch the movie at all, have no interest in anything like that.

With that said, I have a problem with labeling him as a serial killer.

Yes he was charged with 8 counts of murder, but everyone of them were the direct result of botched abortions as well as a mother dying due to complications of an abortion.

When I hear about serial killers I tend to think of someone going out and killing unsuspecting people who were simply going about their everyday lives. I think of a serial killer who purposely goes out looking to kill people.

Is it just me, or does anyone else find it as being the wrong title to label him with? It may be just semantics but I think of him more of a murderer than a serial killer.

By definition a serial killer is a person who commits multiple murders over an extended time (as opposed to a mass murder who kills several people at one time) so if the shoe fits...

Who goes and sees progressive, cutting-edge, controversial flicks? The left-wing liberals primarily, I would argue, who would be less than receptive to the film's motifs.

I would not see that. Regardless of my political/religious beliefs, no way on earth I'd watch that.

The last thing that those that support the war on babies want is any publicity for Gosnel.

My guess is a film company like EchoLight Studios would make the film, the company that made the Christmas Candle.

I don't think any movie about abortion would succeed. People want to be entertained and there is absolutely nothing entertaining about abortion regardless of where you stand on the issue.

Ever see Cider House Rules or Vera Drake?

Cider House Rules

1999 Venice Film Festival - nominated Golden Lion for Best Film

2000 Golden Globes - nominated for Best Supporting Actor - Motion Picture Drama, Best Screenplay

2000 SAG Awards - won Best Supporting Actor, nominated Outstanding Performance by a Cast

2000 Academy Awards - won Best Supporting Actor, Best Adapted Screenplay and nominated Best Picture, Best Director, Best Art Direction, Best Film Editing, Best Music

2000 BAFTAs - nominated Best Supporting Actor

Vera Drake

2004 European Film Awards – won Best Actress and nominated for Best Film

2004 Venice Film Festival – won Golden Lion for Best Film & Volpi Cup for Best Actress

2005 Golden Globes – nominated for Best Actress – Motion Picture Drama

2004 Academy Awards – nominated for Best Actress, Best Director, Best Original Screenplay

2004 Camerimage – won Golden Frog for best cinematography (Dick Pope)

2005 BAFTAs – won Best Director, Best Actress in a Leading Role and Costume Design (for Jacqueline Durran). Nominated for Best Film, Best Supporting Actor, Best Supporting Actress, and Best British Film.

Agreed. Limited market for the big screen.

However, if they keep their costs low they can go directly to the "Christian" market and potentially break even or make a profit.

Is their goal to tell the story or is their goal to only tell the story if they can get their money back?

Agreed. If the movie could make a buck in theaters, someone would do it. That's what it comes down to.