Bill Letton will be the new LexCath football coach!

theguru

As a long time Prestonsburg fan, I'd like to congratulate LexCath on making a superb decision in giving Coach Letton the job.

Though you'll see less "flash" on the field, Coach Letton does an excellent job of teaching solid fundamentals on both sides of the ball. His teams will rarely "give away" a game.

Congratulations, Coach. This kind opportunity has been long overdue. I couldn't be happier for you !!

:ylsuper: :thumb: :ylsuper:

But PLEASE, Knight fans, don't put too much pressure on him!! Keep in mind that last year's Title came about because of the incredible talent you had to run Coach Sphire's pass-oriented attack. Coach Letton is definately more the "win with your defense while not losing the game with your offense"- type coach. If he's forced to continue Coach Sphire's offensive style (unless the talent dictates it, of course), the wheels will come off, sooner or later, because it will over-work his defenses.

I love Coach Letton's quote on the news. He said that he will tweek the offense a little, and not try to be a cheap imitation of Bob Sphire. I'm sure Catholic will continue the success they have had with Coach Letton. I'm just reciting what everyone else has had, but you can't say it enough. He is a great coach and an even better person. Great choice by Catholic.

It will depend on who stays at Lexington Catholic but I know that many of the assistants on the offensive side of the ball have been w/ Sphire ever since he switched to the West Coast style play and they have all helped run it. I think that could be a big help to Coach Letton in helping move the offense along w/ this transition of head coaches. He definately is blessed to have a stud running back next season.

For accuracy sake only, it was by 2. The final score was 14-12.

:cry:

Actually, it was 13-12.

Not that it makes oneijoe feel any better, but I've always felt the better team lost that game. Even some in the Mayfield program will tell you that.

Actually, it was 13-12.

Not that it makes oneijoe feel any better, but I've always felt the better team lost that game. Even some in the Mayfield program will tell you that.

Yep, you're right on the score (it hit me that I had it wrong just before I went to sleep last night...LOL). Mayfield rightfully tried for 2 after their final TD, but missed.

Most all that saw the game would agree with your second paragraph (even the Danville players that were there rooting for Mayfield ;) ), but it's just the way the game goes sometimes.

If one team isn't head and shoulders over the other and can't extend a lead, crazy things CAN happen. That's the main reason I'm not a big fan of a "pure" ball-control running offense - it lets an opponent stay too close on the scoreboard regardless of one-sided stats.