Frankfort has a little more growing up to do over the next 4 weeks. The 3 week fall break for the Panthers is showing a lack of leadership. Hope they can refocus after coming off an open week.

I seen BW a bunch this year they will be in proper form by playoffs.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Responding to MHS's comments on Beechwood, what they lost last year doesn't matter at this point. What matters is what this team has done on the field.

1. Simon Kenton - A one loss 6A school that Beechwood led the entire game till about 5 minutes to go. Beechwood then drove the ball 70 yards only to fumble as it looked like they were going to score the winning TD. What 1A schools could beat 6A Simon Kenton or even come as close to beating them?

2. Holmes - A loss to a 4-2 4A school with 3 starters left on defense in the second half due to injuries. What 1A schools would beat Holmes?

3. Holy Cross - A 30 point thrashing of the defending 2A state champions.

4. Covington Catholic - A lopsided loss to arguably one of the top 10 teams in the state. IMO, no team in 1A could beat Cov Cath.

5. Elizabethtown - Not much value when considering rankings. A lopsided victory over a 3A team that Beechwood should beat soundly.

6. Dixie Heights - A win over a 6A school is always credit worthy. Dixie is better than their record shows, as evidenced by a win over top 10 5A school Conner.

A 3-3 record with wins over 2A, 3A and 6A schools and losses to high quality 6A, 4A and 4A schools. The loss to Simon Kenton should actually earn Beechwood respect because of how well they played them. In fact, I would say if Beechwood had scored on that last drive instead of fumbling, everyone who doubts Beechwood would would look at them very differently. That body of work deserves top 5 in 1A.

Dixie is the worst 5a team in NKy.. You beat HCross by 30, join the crowd, although a few of those were 50+ losses.. You beat Etown by 25, the prior 4 teams beat them by 35, 54, 31 and 49 respectively. They have 1 close win over Ft Knox, who's dressing 16 players.. Those are your 3 wins.. Sorry, but, count me unimpressed.. You lost badly to CCath, ok, that's expected, but, do you get extra points for getting soundly taken to the woodshed..There has to be some resemblence of competitveness, at least, but, there wasn't.. You lost badly to Holmes, unexpected.. Injuries played a part and Holmes has proven to be a pretty good team, but, I'm not giving credit when you basically got taken to the woodshed there, as well.. Then you have a close loss to SKenton.. That, imo, is your highlite game of the year, so far.. I just don't think that moral victory is enough to rank them as high as they're ranked. I see other teams more deserving, at this point... But, like I said, they'll have there chance to prove themselves in game 10 and in the playoffs.. Until then, it'll be Dayton, Ludlow and Bellevue, 3 50+ point victories, just because they're so bad in and of themselves..

Dixie is the worst 5a team in NKy.. You beat HCross by 30, join the crowd, although a few of those were 50+ losses.. You beat Etown by 25, the prior 4 teams beat them by 35, 54, 31 and 49 respectively. They have 1 close win over Ft Knox, who's dressing 16 players.. Those are your 3 wins.. Sorry, but, count me unimpressed.. You lost badly to CCath, ok, that's expected, but, do you get extra points for getting soundly taken to the woodshed..There has to be some resemblence of competitveness, at least, but, there wasn't.. You lost badly to Holmes, unexpected.. Injuries played a part and Holmes has proven to be a pretty good team, but, I'm not giving credit when you basically got taken to the woodshed there, as well.. Then you have a close loss to SKenton.. That, imo, is your highlite game of the year, so far.. I just don't think that moral victory is enough to rank them as high as they're ranked. I see other teams more deserving, at this point... But, like I said, they'll have there chance to prove themselves in game 10 and in the playoffs.. Until then, it'll be Dayton, Ludlow and Bellevue, 3 50+ point victories, just because they're so bad in and of themselves..

I like what the Cardinal has to say!

And to VOR, to answer some of your questions.

I would take Mayfield in any game BW has played to win, with the exception of CC.

And I think they would give them a good game.

As for the rankings, I just go with the 4 that I think have a chance to win state.

1 Mayfield

2.Frankfort

3.Beechwood

4.Hazard

Responding to MHS's comments on Beechwood, what they lost last year doesn't matter at this point. What matters is what this team has done on the field.

1. Simon Kenton - A one loss 6A school that Beechwood led the entire game till about 5 minutes to go. Beechwood then drove the ball 70 yards only to fumble as it looked like they were going to score the winning TD. What 1A schools could beat 6A Simon Kenton or even come as close to beating them?

2. Holmes - A loss to a 4-2 4A school with 3 starters left on defense in the second half due to injuries. What 1A schools would beat Holmes?

3. Holy Cross - A 30 point thrashing of the defending 2A state champions.

4. Covington Catholic - A lopsided loss to arguably one of the top 10 teams in the state. IMO, no team in 1A could beat Cov Cath.

5. Elizabethtown - Not much value when considering rankings. A lopsided victory over a 3A team that Beechwood should beat soundly.

6. Dixie Heights - A win over a 6A school is always credit worthy. Dixie is better than their record shows, as evidenced by a win over top 10 5A school Conner.

A 3-3 record with wins over 2A, 3A and 6A schools and losses to high quality 6A, 4A and 4A schools. The loss to Simon Kenton should actually earn Beechwood respect because of how well they played them. In fact, I would say if Beechwood had scored on that last drive instead of fumbling, everyone who doubts Beechwood would would look at them very differently. That body of work deserves top 5 in 1A.

It's funny, but, in one sentence you say what we lost last year has no bearing on this years team, but, then, in #3) you all of a sudden want to give credit for beating a team who did something last year, but, are clearly not the same team.. I agree, you beat the defending champions, but, one that is a shell of itself, much like this years Beechies team is a shell of itself from last year.

I like what the Cardinal has to say!

And to VOR, to answer some of your questions.

I would take Mayfield in any game BW has played to win, with the exception of CC.

And I think they would give them a good game.

As for the rankings, I just go with the 4 that I think have a chance to win state.

1 Mayfield

2.Frankfort

3.Beechwood

4.Hazard

I too expect the champ to be 1 of these 4 and to date Mayfield looks to Be the favorite .

As for BW, too would expect Mf to beat all but CC

Mayfield has been a pain in BW side for several year's now, I don't think anyone is taking anything away from them or the other team's mentioned. I myself have been overly impressed with Mayfield over the past four years and for Frankfort I have seen them play enough to say they will be tough come playoff time. I was only saying don't sell BW short they are maturing at a fast pace and come playoff time will have plenty of time to get better. Believe me the coaching staff at BW will have them ready for any game going down the road. I don't think BW is bad as people think and they will be here in the end. JD

I also would favor Mayfield over all the teams Beechwood has played except Cov Cath. I do think Simon Kenton would be an interesting match up. They are passing dominant. Does Mayfield play any good pass first teams? I am asking because I don't know.

As to the rest of 1A, I don't think there is another 1A team that would be better than 3-3 against Beechwood's schedule. Say what you want about Dixie, MHS, but they would beat every team in 1A except for the top 6 and they could beat any of the top 6 except Mayfield.

Well heck, put me in the every growing category of people that would take Mayfield over all but CovCath. But, I will have to take it little further: I would take Frankfort over most of them as well. I think Frankfort would be Etown Holy Cross, Dixie, and Homes. And Frankfort looks to have a pretty good pass defense having 10 INTs with 10 fumbles recovered as well and holding LCA to less then 100 yards passing as well as under 100 yards rushing. It's nothing against Beechwood, but Frankfort will be a though out for them.

Well heck, put me in the every growing category of people that would take Mayfield over all but CovCath. But, I will have to take it little further: I would take Frankfort over most of them as well. I think Frankfort would be Etown Holy Cross, Dixie, and Homes. And Frankfort looks to have a pretty good pass defense having 10 INTs with 10 fumbles recovered as well and holding LCA to less then 100 yards passing as well as under 100 yards rushing. It's nothing against Beechwood, but Frankfort will be a though out for them.

No doubt on Frankfort. I started singing their praises after Beechwood beat them in the playoffs last year. When I saw the returning talent, I said at that time that Frankfort is a team to watch in 2012. I have been talking them up ever since. That being said, Dixie and Holmes would botth be tough matches for Frankfort. The Panthers very well could beat both but it would be tough games for them.

Since we have been talking about schedules and some are questioning Beechwood, I thought I would bring the MaxPreps strength of schedule ratings in here. They were being discussed in the 6A poll thread so I pulled up the ratings for the 1A schools. here is the strength of schedule for the top 10:

1. Mayfield........10.6

2. Frankfort........1.3

3. Hazard..........16.7

4. Beechwood....13.9

5. Raceland.......-7.4

6. Fairview.......-17.5

7. Russellville.....-6.8

8. Williamsburg..-22.1

9. Nicolas Co. ..-22.3

10. Harlan........-3.8

Here is the link:

Kentucky Division 1A Football Fall 12-13 Playoff Race - MaxPreps

No doubt on Frankfort. I started singing their praises after Beechwood beat them in the playoffs last year. When I saw the returning talent, I said at that time that Frankfort is a team to watch in 2012. I have been talking them up ever since. That being said, Dixie and Holmes would botth be tough matches for Frankfort. The Panthers very well could beat both but it would be tough games for them.

I totally agree. I'm not as sharp as VOR, so I was not clued in to the number of returning players from last years Frankfort team. I was informed of this a few weeks ago and quickly discoverd that for the first time, I was concerned about the difficult road for the Tigers to get to a rematch with Mayfield.

By the way, even in the years where the Tigers seem to beat Frankfort soundly, I was never comfortable with Win until horn sounded and the team was on the bus. Frankfort just never seems to quit and with the exception of maybe 1 year, I always felt like it was a game into the 4th qtr.

Folks Frankfort hasn't beat anyone special this year. The have issues with Depth. They have some talent. But until the can prove to everyone they can beat the Tigers I sell them being an elite team in Class A.

Now I know they are trying to get to that level. The kids are focused and want to be an elite team, but we won't know for a few more weeks. So until then we need to focus on the Mayfield vs. Beechwood game.

Mayfield has been a pain in BW side for several year's now, I don't think anyone is taking anything away from them or the other team's mentioned. I myself have been overly impressed with Mayfield over the past four years and for Frankfort I have seen them play enough to say they will be tough come playoff time. I was only saying don't sell BW short they are maturing at a fast pace and come playoff time will have plenty of time to get better. Believe me the coaching staff at BW will have them ready for any game going down the road. I don't think BW is bad as people think and they will be here in the end. JD

John, if anything you VOR and a a few other Bw posters have proven to be very knowledgable and very good at judging teams. I make my case as things stand at the moment but full well expect Bw to make a push in the playoffs as they develop. I think most of the Mf fans also realize this. I am just glad Bw and Frank have to slug it out as both are going to be tough outs. That has the potential to be one the best games all year in class A if Bw develops as we expect.