"With the Exception of Rape or Incest"

Clyde

Should There Be an Exception For Rape/Incest For the Criminalization of Abortion?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Should There Be an Exception For Rape/Incest For the Criminalization of Abortion?

• Yes
    • No

We always hear the above when those who are staunch opponents to abortion.

This came up in another thread but got buried so I figured we would give it its own thread and add a poll.

So, for those who are in the anti-abortion/it should be illegal camp I ask the following.

Should there be an exception for rape and/or incest as is often mentioned.

It's a simple yes/no vote. Vote as if you were the last vote in Congress to pass legislation.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going to have to say no. If you think it's murder then how the baby was conceived shouldn't matter.

If someone is Pro-Life with no exceptions, then it would appear that self-defense would never be a defense for murder. Murder is murder, doesn't matter the circumstances.

I made the votes private so I'll ask someone who voted "no" a sensitive question.

If your wife or sister was raped by a black gangbanger and became pregnant are you saying you would strongly encourage them to keep the baby?

If someone is Pro-Life with no exceptions, then it would appear that self-defense would never be a defense for murder. Murder is murder, doesn't matter the circumstances.

There is a difference between killing and murder. Murder is defined by statute. Killing may be justified, and therefore not murder by definition. Self-defense is one of many defenses of justification. Terminating a fetus may be defined as murder.

I made the votes private so I'll ask someone who voted "no" a sensitive question.

If your wife or sister was raped by a black gangbanger and became pregnant are you saying you would strongly encourage them to keep the baby?

Yes.

I disagree. Self-defense is just that. You would have a point if fetuses were packing guns.

I can speak to this from the perspective of someone whose friend was raped. The details are rather un-necessary to me, as "rape" is all I need to hear to know how hard the situation really was, but she is white, he was black, she didn't know him. I encouraged her to keep the baby. She did. She had the baby and gave it up for an open adoption. It is her proudest accomplishment in life.

First let me say that I personally find abortion a repugnant act and I honestly feel that anyone who would have one simply as a matter of convenience strictly as a form of birth control is morally bankrupt.

That said I really don't strongly support an outright ban. It should be difficult, parental permission (just like any other medical procedure) should be required of minors and elective abortion should be just like elective plastic surgery, paid for by the individual.

However as a man who will never be pregnant, much less pregnant as the result of rape or incest I can certainly see that woman's psychological need to terminate such a pregnancy and would be supportive of measures enacted to allow such abortions.

First let me say that I personally find abortion a repugnant act and I honestly feel that anyone who would have one simply as a matter of convenience strictly as a form of birth control is morally bankrupt.

That said I really don't strongly support an outright ban. It should be difficult, parental permission (just like any other medical procedure) should be required of minors and elective abortion should be just like elective plastic surgery, paid for by the individual.

However as a man who will never be pregnant, much less pregnant as the result of rape or incest I can certainly see that woman's psychological need to terminate such a pregnancy and would be supportive of measures enacted to allow such abortions.

I agree with much of what you said, but how does my psychological need trump someone else's right to live?