CovCath is close to lighting up the night sky in Park Hills

theguru

I have been informed the City of Park Hills has given approval to CovCath to install lights! Now CovCath still has to get permission from the Kenton County Zoning and Planning and then from Kenton County to put the lights in but it is close to being a done deal.

Wow! Good for CCH I think.

Now I need some of you CCH people to refresh my memory, I always thought the deal on the land/field was no lights ever?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been informed the City of Park Hills has given approval to CovCath to install lights! Now CovCath still has to get permission from the Kenton County Zoning and Planning and then from Kenton County to put the lights in but it is close to being a done deal.

Now I need some of you CCH people to refresh my memory, I always thought the deal on the land/field was no lights ever?

I thought so too. Saw some great games there on Saturday afternoons.

I've never heard that the terms of the deal were for "ever". Doesn't mean that they couldn't have been...but I'd honestly be a little surprised if the deal was struck that way. Regardless, I know that since then they've had 100% turnover (a few times over) on city council and the planning committees in Park Hills. I also know that most, if not all of the original neighbors have moved out as well.

The administrators at Cov Cath are still playing things pretty close to the chest regarding when the lights will happen, but it has been made clear for 6 or 8 months now that lights are an inevitable goal. There are existing drawings of the campus plan that incorporate the new stadium renovations that include a new grandstand and pressbox, as well as established locations for field lighting. The final locations of the lights will obviously be subject to the requirements of P&Z review.

The new grandstand/pressbox will be on the current visitors (west) side of the field, and will face towards Dixie Highway. There are a lot of people who assume that the lights will all end up on the west side of the field and will only face the highway as well, although the current "plans" show that Cov Cath is intent on trying to have them on all four corners of the field. The grandstand will also include at least one locker room for the visiting team. There is currently no visiting locker room, so Cov Cath has to pull out the mats and have them walk (in cleats) on the gym floor instead.

Now, they can plan all they want for this stuff...but the fact remains...everything costs money.

THANK GOD!

There is just something about playing under the lights that got me more pumped up while I played. I'm not going to lie, I didn't like the Saturday afternoon games much. The atmosphere just wasn't there, the crowd didn't feel as rowdy and I was always tired from waking up so dang early. I really don't think it was much of an advantage for the Colonels like some may think.

Side note, the players are probably going to seriously miss the breakfast spread that Mrs. R and the parents put together for Saturday games. It was awesome.

I know lights have been a priority at the school for several years now, and while they are inevitable, I don't know when they'll be a reality.

Personally, I always liked the Saturday afternoon games as long as it wasn't 90 degrees outside. It was unique, and had a different feel to the game. But to me it was in a good way. More of a family type atmosphere, what with the home owners around the field hosting parties and all. Just seemed like a little slice of Americana.

Plus, since CovCath's schedule is typically good, you could see a good game Friday night, and still catch a good game Saturday.

Progress is a good thing. And lights are what the school, program, and players want, so I'm good with it. But, I'll miss Saturday games a little when they're gone.

Plus, since CovCath's schedule is typically good, you could see a good game Friday night, and still catch a good game Saturday.

Progress is a good thing. And lights are what the school, program, and players want, so I'm good with it. But, I'll miss Saturday games a little when they're gone.

I agree 100%