What would you do if you were the high school Coach?

theguru

Hypothetically if one of the players on your team called you a Bitch/Bastard after the two of you had a heated disagreement what would you do?

Immediately kick the player off the team and have then turn in their uniform?

Run them to "death" as punishment?

Shake it off?

Or it depends on if they are a superstar or not?

Something else?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hypothetically if one of the players on your team called you a Bitch/Bastard after the two of you had a heated disagreement what would you do?

Shake it off?

Something else?

Run them to "death" is no longer an option for any coach in any sport. In fact most coaches now are for warned about what they call "Conditioning" anymore.

Beyond that, I think a players history plays a role in this, also so does the scene around it. Did he say it one on one, in the coaches office? In the middle of practice in front of the team? During a game?

Shake it off?

Something else?

Lots of depends. Depends on the player. The player's role with the team. The player's history? How the argument started? Did I say something to provoke the reaction? How heated is it? Even who the kid's parents are may be an issue.

An example would need to be set so the rest of the team wouldn't follow his lead but I need more info before I can truly say what I would do.

^ I agree with PurplePride that there are a lot of depends in there. However, a minimum one game suspension is in order regardless of any other factor. But I will say if the coach uses profanity with the players, then the penalty is lessened. Do as I say, not as I do doesn't cut it with me.

Some things are inexcusable regardless of the player's "situation". Calling a coach (or any adult for that matter) a profane name is one of them. If the coach cussed the kid and got a response then the coach needs to be disciplined as well but that in no way excuses what the player did.

There are a only two "depends" issues that I can see coming into play: the player's history, and what got the argument started.

I don't think the player's role on the team or his parents should mean a thing though. I don't care if it's my starting shortstop/pointguard/quarterback, or a benchwarmer - the punishment should apply just as it would to any other player on the team. Same goes for the parents thing. I don't care who his dad is or how much he does or doesn't donate to the school, his kid gets punished the same as any other kid.

In response to what would I do, unless it's something really out of control, I wouldn't have a problem with "running them to death" as long as it's a first (or maybe even second) occurrence.

I agree with this 1000%.
What exactly do you agree with?

Are you saying it is OK for the coach to say whatever he wants and the players should shut up and take it?

Or are you saying the players have a right to retaliate with verbal jabs of their own.