The Black Male Code

jericho

Would this be racially profiling other groups?

As said by an AP writer to his son.

As I explained it, the Code goes like this: Always pay close attention to your surroundings, son, especially if you are in an affluent neighborhood where black folks are few. Understand that even though you are not a criminal, some people might assume you are, especially if you are wearing certain clothes.

AP Writer Explains ‘Black Male Code’ to His Son after Trayvon Martin Shooting | TheBlaze.com

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically are blacks profiling others by saying:

Son your black, watch out when in rich neighborhoods because they think your a thief because your black.

Wouldn't that be profiling others as thinking blacks are thieves and don't be in places where lots of othe blacks are.

Edited by mountain ref

Basically are blacks profiling others by saying:

Son your black, watch out when in rich neighborhoods because they think your a thief because your black.

Wouldn't that be profiling others as thinking blacks are theifs and don't be in places where lots of othe blacks are.

Humans profile. There's no need to even debate that. We often times do not even realize it when it happens.

Spelling and punctuation aside I'm assuming the above is somehow connected to the Trayvon Martin case. No question Zimmerman "profiled."

Where the true issue of profiling comes in is not with you and me. It comes into play with those in authority when they choose to take action. At that point profiling MAY be wrong and possibly illegal.

So the answer to your question in regards to the Black Male Code is "yes, so what?"

To the yes so what answer.

Blacks complain that they are profiled by whites, so isn't that what blacks are doing, profiling white people.

Mountain Ref...I understand what you are getting at, but you can never get Americans to get this answer as there has been so much guilt built up over time about the slavery issue. Blacks are allowed to profile, incite riots (see Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton) and do whatever because the majority has become afraid of the minority. The ballgame is over at that point. America has rotted from within, and I do not hold out hope that it can be saved from itself.

When people cannot simply tell the truth, what is the point. Where is the outrage over black on black crime??

Same for the "moral outrage" on other issues like Syria. I guess their people being slayed aren't as important as the innocents that were killed in Libya.

This issue is a nice diversion from the fact that gas prices have gone out of sight under this administration, more people are receiving assistance from the federal government than ever before (and a world of good that is doing) and our government can no longer communicate the truth to us about many things from employment to health care.

Save your breath Mountain Ref. Live a life of quiet disgust at what our once proud nation has become. (Oh and next time the national anthem is played...keep your hat on and stay seated, as apparently that is what folks do when they are mad at their country for not doing enough for them....so I have been told.)

I have been critical of mountain ref before, but I think he does bring up a unique point.

I cannot begin to understand the year's of pain and suffering African Americans went through to capture their "freedom" for which they have today. That should not be forgotten and we, as Americans do a good job of recognizing those moments in our history. From my perspective - and I said this in another thread and not meant as disrespectful - African Americans, and their race means more to them than ALMOST anything else in the world. Obviously you have God, Family, etc. ahead of race, but I think PP92 would tell you it is extremely important and from a young age taught by other African Americans of how important that is. If you are white and take pride in your race, you are considered a racist. For White Americans, race is not as important. Why? Because it never had to be important. Let me rephrase here. It has always been important whether we knew it or not, but for far different reasons than it would be for an African American. We have always been given the benefit of the doubt walking through affluent neighborhoods at night time. Is it racial profiling what the author is saying. You darn right it is. Do not kid yourself otherwise. But is racial profiling sometimes a harsh reality of life? No doubt about it.

As Clyde pointed out, we all profile. In our cultural sensitivity training classes it's always pointed out that humans are wired to notice the differences before anything else. It goes back to the birth of man where the "fight or flight" response had to be made quickly. I think it's good parenting to talk to your kids about these things.

Using this thread as evidence.....Is there anyone who still wants to claim that racism in America is a problem of the past?

Who on here has ever made that claim? On the contrary, I've seen posts that acknowledge that it will never go away.

I can tell you that the so called code has been in exsistence since the end of the civil war. My grandparents told it to my parents and my parents told it to me. I've told it to my kids. I've told my kids, especially my boys, the same thing. You say it is profiling by blacks well it is in response to what has happened to us.

I can tell you for a fact that I've heard it all my life because of the way I speak and carry myself that sometimes when people first meet me after talking to me on the phone they are surprised. They don't say anything but it is their reactions to lets me know. To be honest I've had black people treat me the same way. My sons too.

I've been in the parking lot of a store minding my own business. Getting out of my car and see a woman walking and switching her purse to the her side opposite of me and clinching it tighter. Why was it because I was six feet tall?

I've told my boys the same things about the police. They've had to use the advice also. We tell our boys that because it has happened in the past and still happens to day. If you are black and are going through and affluent neighbor hood you are going to be checked out. You all can say it is racial profiling if you want but I want my boys to be safe and as I mentioned earlier both of them have had things happen to them as I did.

Before any of you say it is wrong, tell me this one thing and I'll apologize. I want each one of you to give a guarantee that my sons and grandsons can walk or drive throught the aformentioned neighboorhoods and not be the victim of anything happening to them because they are black.

I can tell you that the so called code has been in exsistence since the end of the civil war. My grandparents told it to my parents and my parents told it to me. I've told it to my kids. I've told my kids, especially my boys, the same thing. You say it is profiling by blacks well it is in response to what has happened to us.

I can tell you for a fact that I've heard it all my life because of the way I speak and carry myself that sometimes when people first meet me after talking to me on the phone they are surprised. They don't say anything but it is their reactions to lets me know. To be honest I've had black people treat me the same way. My sons too.

I've been in the parking lot of a store minding my own business. Getting out of my car and see a woman walking and switching her purse to the her side opposite of me and clinching it tighter. Why was it because I was six feet tall?

I've told my boys the same things about the police. They've had to use the advice also. We tell our boys that because it has happened in the past and still happens to day. If you are black and are going through and affluent neighbor hood you are going to be checked out. You all can say it is racial profiling if you want but I want my boys to be safe and as I mentioned earlier both of them have had things happen to them as I did.

Before any of you say it is wrong, tell me this one thing and I'll apologize. I want each one of you to give a guarantee that my sons and grandsons can walk or drive throught the aformentioned neighboorhoods and not be the victim of anything happening to them because they are black.

It's not as bad as it used to be, but there is no doubt that racism is alive and well. It's just that most racist people have been taught how to hide it where as in the past they didn't.

Black, white, hispanic, whatever. We all just want our kids to be safe and for things to be better.

Advising your kids on how to handle realistic situations is called good parenting. What you have said is really true for everyone nWo. Your life experiences have taught you that your kids need to know these things, and the sad fact is that they do need to know these things. We all do it, we all teach our kids based on our experiences. I just hope what we are teaching our kids will make things better for all.

I would love to see the day when a man is a man and a woman is a woman and all take pride in their heritage without feeling it infringes on their own heritage.