The Last Dance: Michael Jordan documentary

Page 6 of I figured we could start a thread about the upcoming ESPN documentary coming out on April 20th. I believe it's a 6 or 7 piece documentary. Anyone else ... 109 comments | 3444 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #76
    gchs_uk9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Posts
    22,642

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    I think every 34 year old with the right numbers and previous stardom that MJ had would be called up.
    Previous stardom is the key, though, and it jades any potential considerations of Jordan as a pro ball player. Is he called up because of talent or because of name recognition?

    And I'll say this: if Jordan had stayed in baseball for three more years and was called up to the majors as a 34-year old, worthy or not, I wouldn't fault the organization for doing so.
    Advertisement

  2. #77
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    "In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." -- MLK, Jr.
    Posts
    56,165

    Quote Originally Posted by gchs_uk9 View Post
    Previous stardom is the key, though, and it jades any potential considerations of Jordan as a pro ball player. Is he called up because of talent or because of name recognition?

    And I'll say this: if Jordan had stayed in baseball for three more years and was called up to the majors as a 34-year old, worthy or not, I wouldn't fault the organization for doing so.
    But if he had the numbers, the stardom is irrelevant to him being called up, IMO. Him being famous is just an added perk for the club.

  3. #78
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    51,330

    When they started throwing him breaking balls did anyone else think of Pedro Cerano?

  4. #79

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    11,491

    Quote Originally Posted by brown4 View Post
    Does it bother anyone else on how the the documentary jumps around between different timelines? It feels like there's little to no structure.
    I agree. Yes, it bothered me and the spouse.

  5. #80

    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    34,267

    Quote Originally Posted by gchs_uk9 View Post
    I question this. He hit .202 as a 31 year old in AA. Francona said he could have made the majors with 1,500 more at bats. That's three more seasons, making him 34 years old. I think Jordan might have had a professional baseball future had he started playing minor league ball right out of college. I highly doubt he'd have been in the Majors for anything other than a publicity cup of coffee.

    Remember: Jordan's people had a say in what is and isn't in this documentary.
    I was merely commenting that I was surprised at how good he looked playing baseball, especially at age 31 without having played in many years. It impressed me. As to truly playing in the majors if he stayed with baseball, that is certainly up in the air. The point for me is I was impressed that he was good enough that it is even worthy of discussion.

  6. #81
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    88,603

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    When they started throwing him breaking balls did anyone else think of Pedro Cerano?
    No. He didn't hit fastballs like President Palmer.

  7. #82

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    25,441

    Quote Originally Posted by brown4 View Post
    Does it bother anyone else on how the the documentary jumps around between different timelines? It feels like there's little to no structure.
    I can't decide if I dislike it or not. It keeps me engaged sometimes and losing interest others.

  8. #83
    gchs_uk9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Posts
    22,642

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    I was merely commenting that I was surprised at how good he looked playing baseball, especially at age 31 without having played in many years. It impressed me. As to truly playing in the majors if he stayed with baseball, that is certainly up in the air. The point for me is I was impressed that he was good enough that it is even worthy of discussion.
    Absolutely. I understood your point and agreed with it. I kinda ventured off in another direction for a couple of posts after. I apologize!

  9. #84
    PP1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 14
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    3,616

    I thought it was interesting how they explained the difference in conditioning between the two sports.

    Also, I was a Toni Kukoc fan and I liked how they emphasized that fact that despite all the drama on the last-second play, that the shot did go in and the Bulls did win. I must not have put the whole controversy together at the time.

  10. #85

    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    34,267

    Let's warm up this thread again for Sunday night's episodes with some last dance related trivia. Six times Michael Jordan won the scoring title in the same year his team won an NBA championship. Since 1951 only 2 other players have won the scoring title and a championship in the same season. Who are they?

  11. #86
    bugatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Location
    You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime. - Mark Allen
    Posts
    42,931

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    Let's warm up this thread again for Sunday night's episodes with some last dance related trivia. Six times Michael Jordan won the scoring title in the same year his team won an NBA championship. Since 1951 only 2 other players have won the scoring title and a championship in the same season. Who are they?
    Good question.

    Was Kareem one of them? Wilt the other?

  12. #87

    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    34,267

    Kareem is correct.

    Wilt is not correct.

  13. #88
    Runcible Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 17
    Location
    Pre lives!
    Posts
    2,543

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    Let's warm up this thread again for Sunday night's episodes with some last dance related trivia. Six times Michael Jordan won the scoring title in the same year his team won an NBA championship. Since 1951 only 2 other players have won the scoring title and a championship in the same season. Who are they?
    George Mikan.

  14. #89
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    51,330

    Jerry West or Oscar?

  15. #90

    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    34,267

    Quote Originally Posted by Runcible Owl View Post
    George Mikan.
    Mikan did it twice but before 1951. He is not the other player to do it since 1951.

Top