How many teams have won a state title running the Wing T?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't Danville run some form of the wing T in 1987 with Donnie Redd et al?

Nope. They've been a wishbone team since Duffy came in '80.

The only exceptions have been in 1986 Duffy went to a "run and shoot" that looked like a Wing T or Broken Bone formation. He did that to take advantage of Jimmy Baughman at RB and Keith Morgan at QB.

In '98 I think Danville went to a lot of "I formation" with Jeremy Britt. Someone else can confirm or deny that one.

On a side note I've seen some Virginia Teams win their State Division with Wing T's. Spotsylvania County was one of those.

Nope. They've been a wishbone team since Duffy came in '80.

The only exceptions have been in 1986 Duffy went to a "run and shoot" that looked like a Wing T or Broken Bone formation. He did that to take advantage of Jimmy Baughman at RB and Keith Morgan at QB.

In '98 I think Danville went to a lot of "I formation" with Jeremy Britt. Someone else can confirm or deny that one.

On a side note I've seen some Virginia Teams win their State Division with Wing T's. Spotsylvania County was one of those.

We ran a wishbone in the early 90s, but have gotten away from that since about 98. In '98 they ran a stack I (3 backs directly behind the QB). I think Harp actually tried to run something different for the first few games of his tenure in '88, but after starting 0-3 (capping it off with their only loss to Lincoln ever) they scrapped that and went back to the good old Bone. Never ran the wing T in the past 25 years that I'm aware of. They really don't run a true bone any more, but at times apparently got back into it some this year. It seems like their personnel would fit the description to get back in the bone and run the triple option successfully like we did in the early 90s and late 80s (with Redd). THey have not done that since around 97 or so.