Why would private schools stay in KHSAA?

wailupebob

The KHSAA is thinking of eliminating private schools from the state championships games? Why would private schools stay in the KHSAA? They could form a private school league?

X and T could play Lex Catholic, Covington Catholic and maybe one more private school in football and have 3 or 4 out of state schools each year. The 3A private schools would give X and T better games than Oldham County, Southern or Iroquois. Then the private schools could give scholarships to needy, athletic students.

In other sports there are plenty of private schools to play. Then everyone would be happy.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The KHSAA is thinking of eliminating private schools from the state championship games?

Can you elaborate on that?

That is the present proposal being put to the KHSAA. Last year a majority of members voted for same but less than 2/3 did so. The proposal is to eliminate schools that give financial aid to students from playing in the state championship. There are several posts on this board discussing the issue.

Public schools feel that it is unfair for private schools to take in students from all areas of the state. That is a legitimate advantage to private schools.

Having gone to Trinity, I remember that we had students who drove in from LaGrange and downtown Louisville. The real problem is in football. X and T have about 1,400 boys. They have about 100 freshmen come out for football. The have access to the catholic grade school leagues. They have dedicated alumni who give money to the school, such that Trinity just built a new stadium. X's stadium is in the works. The only question is 4A football is whether some team but X and T will play in the state finals.

I do not blame the public schools. Look at Oldham County last night. I do not think that Ballard, Eastern, Southern, Fern Creek or Shelby County will give T a test and players may get injured.

I think the private school league is best way to go.

The KHSAA isn't planning on eliminating those schools from competing in a state championship game but rather they're thinking about possibly doing what the Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association is currently doing. The TSSAA has 5 classes in Division 1 for those schools that do not offer financial aid (that does include some private schools) AND there are 3 classes in the Division 2 for those schools that do offer financial aid to their students (this icludes some public high schools).

By saying that the KHSAA is eliminating private schools from playing ion a state championship is INCORRECT......but it should be restated that they're going to give them their OWN class or division as it is in Tennessee. At least that's the impression that I am getting.

The KHSAA isn't planning on eliminating those schools from competing in a state championship game but rather they're thinking about possibly doing what the Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association is currently doing. The TSSAA has 5 classes in Division 1 for those schools that do not offer financial aid (that does include some private schools) AND there are 3 classes in the Division 2 for those schools that do offer financial aid to their students (this icludes some public high schools).

By saying that the KHSAA is eliminating private schools from playing ion a state championship is INCORRECT......but it should be restated that they're going to give them their OWN class or division as it is in Tennessee. At least that's the impression that I am getting.

Tennessee has more private schools than Kentucky. There are more football teams in the "top rung" in football in Tennesse, whereas Kentucky has just two schools. The provision will eliminate X and T from playing in the state tourney. WHO is going to be in the football tournament for private schools to compete with X and T? No one.

So I go back to my original question. Why would private schools stay in the KHSAA rather than form a private school league?

I think you would silence a lot by just making it where X and T meet in the game before state, I don't think it makes much geograpical sense to say 2 teams from the Ville represent the east and the west.

They already had it that way, and schools complained that the Ville had a lock for the Finals...

I think you would silence a lot by just making it where X and T meet in the game before state, I don't think it makes much geograpical sense to say 2 teams from the Ville represent the east and the west.

It does make sense, because Louisville is the middle of the state, in the 4A alignment, and has two districts...

If they're the best two teams, what does it MATTER, anyway?

If teams from NKY or Bowling Green can beat X or T, then they move on to state. If they CAN'T, then X and T are the teams that earned it.

They already had it that way, and schools complained that the Ville had a lock for the Finals...

If they're the best two teams, what does it MATTER, anyway?

If teams from NKY or Bowling Green can beat X or T, then they move on to state. If they CAN'T, then X and T are the teams that earned it.

Please everyone, take a step back away from your keyboard so the ensuing lightning bolt doesn't harm you.

I am agreeing with gametime AND 02Ram54 and all in the same post. :lol:

Under the old system, they just resorted to claiming a "State At Large" chamionship for the 4A team that won the other semi state. :rolleyes:

"Unless you are in the lead, the view is always the same. "