Major League Baseball's 2020 Season to begin July 1-4

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Dayton Daily News gave a good summary of the major points of the plan agreed upon by the MLB owners today.

Some of the points include 50/50 revenue sharing between owners and players, cancellation of the 2020 All-Star Game, a second "spring training" in June, an option to play official 2020 season games at spring training facilities if the teams are not permitted legally to play at their regular home stadium, an extra round added to the post-season, and active rosters expanded from 26 to 30 players.

Also, leagues/divisions won't change, but teams will only play in their own division and teams in the like-named division from the other league. So the Reds, in the NL Central, will only play games against other NL Central teams and the AL Central teams.

Also, leagues/divisions won't change, but teams will only play in their own division and teams in the like-named division from the other league. So the Reds, in the NL Central, will only play games against other NL Central teams and the AL Central teams.

I'll take that. I'd rather face the Twins, Indians and White Sox than the Dodgers, Braves, and Nationals. Of course it means the Brewers and Cards get that advantage too. But, still.

What are the chances that the players will not approve this?

It'll all come down to what it usually comes down to...money. Personally, as an owner, I'd say this...I'll give you credit for a full year's worth of service, but we pro-rate your salary on 82 games. Any playoff bonuses are still valid.

It'll all come down to what it usually comes down to...money. Personally, as an owner, I'd say this...I'll give you credit for a full year's worth of service, but we pro-rate your salary on 82 games. Any playoff bonuses are still valid.

Do you think the player's association will agree to give money back and play for less? Haven't player's already gotten their salaries for April & May?

I think it's going to be pretty interesting how all of that plays out. I think I saw yesterday that like 40% of player's salaries come from the gates/ticket sales.

Even with some semblance of spring training it’s hard to think players (especially pitchers) will be ready. I’ve heard all along there could be expanded rosters. It doesn’t appear there will be Minor League Baseball this season. Do the teams do some type of extended spring training for those MiLB guys just to have a collection of players ready for call up if players are injured (possible with weird preseason) or infected with Covid?

The biggest problem baseball is going to have (and I wish that I was joking about this)...is the spitting. Whether it's sunflower seeds in the dugout, or just saliva when they're in the batter's box...there's a lot of spitting going on. As a catcher or umpire, I can't image you'll just be fine with guys hawking loogies out in front of the plate for 9 innings.

Even with some semblance of spring training it’s hard to think players (especially pitchers) will be ready. I’ve heard all along there could be expanded rosters. It doesn’t appear there will be Minor League Baseball this season. Do the teams do some type of extended spring training for those MiLB guys just to have a collection of players ready for call up if players are injured (possible with weird preseason) or infected with Covid?

I’ve seen rosters potentially being expanded to 45-50 players. Sounds insanely large to me, but that’s what is being discussed.

The biggest problem baseball is going to have (and I wish that I was joking about this)...is the spitting. Whether it's sunflower seeds in the dugout, or just saliva when they're in the batter's box...there's a lot of spitting going on. As a catcher or umpire, I can't image you'll just be fine with guys hawking loogies out in front of the plate for 9 innings.

I was watching one of the Korean League games the other day and they mentioned how spitting had been banned. I’d assume MLB would implement something similar but it seems hard to police.

I’ve seen rosters potentially being expanded to 45-50 players. Sounds insanely large to me, but that’s what is being discussed.

I know they were talking about players sitting in the bleachers. I’m with you - 45 to 50 is a huge number. Almost untenable unless you did some type of active/inactive thing like the NBA.

Players have been very resistant so far, it’s gonna be close. Whole thing makes me nervous with the CBA expiring in 2021.

I can see the players agreeing here in exchange for concessions in the next CBA. You can guarantee anything that happens this season is part of a longer term plan.