John Hardin - 2020 Schedule

Aug 22 vs. Collins (at Danville) (Bob Allen Pigskin Classic)

Aug 28 at Central Hardin

Sep 4 at Elizabethtown

Sep 11 vs. Meade County

Sep 18 vs. North Hardin

Sep 25 at Valley (District)

Oct 9 vs. Moore (District)

Oct 16 vs. Marion County (District)

Oct 23 at Spencer County (District)

Oct 20 at Greenwood

For Reference:

John Hardin - 2019 Schedule

John Hardin could be 0-5 going into district play but due to being in one of the weaker 4A districts could find itself on top of the district by seasons end.

We could be. But in my experience as long as our kids are working hard, developing team concepts, learning to be mentally tough then in the end we will be playing our best. JH had been dominant for so long in the area that now many like to see them/us struggle. That’s the nature of sports. As for success being attributed to a “weak” district I really couldn’t say. I do know Moore has hired a very good football coach with a school ready to give Billy tremendous support. Moore I think has won the district the last couple seasons. I want to add in that the coaching at Spencer county is excellent and they play very good football. With that being said I guess I will publicly defend our district. Of course it’s just my opinion. Good coaches and many good players. Being the new head coach at John I must say I don’t know all the hurdles to overcome but 31 years of coaching in most possible environments has given me some insight into things. One of those being that finishing strong at the end helps build on the next season. We were 2-4 at Bullit East and played in the state championship. We were 2 and something at Franklin Simpson in 2017 and won the state championship. We were 0-4 last season and lost in the Regional Championship. Injuries caught up with us vs a tremendous North Hopkins team. My point is this. We will improve and grow at JH. Those first 5 won’t mean a hill of beans down the line. And in no way do we plan to be 0-5. But you never know. That’s the beauty of high school football. Love the kids and demand excellence and all else will come together. Just some thoughts.

Edited by Coach Preston
  • Like 1

We could be. But in my experience as long as our kids are working hard, developing team concepts, learning to be mentally tough then in the end we will be playing our best. JH had been dominant for so long in the area that now many like to see them/us struggle. That’s the nature of sports. As for success being attributed to a “weak” district I really couldn’t say. I do know Moore has hired a very good football coach with a school ready to give Billy tremendous support. Moore I think has won the district the last couple seasons. I want to add in that the coaching at Spencer county is excellent and they play very good football. With that being said I guess I will publicly defend our district. Of course it’s just my opinion. Good coaches and many good players. Being the new head coach at John I must say I don’t know all the hurdles to overcome but 31 years of coaching in most possible environments has given me some insight into things. One of those being that finishing strong at the end helps build on the next season. We were 2-4 at Bullit East and played in the state championship. We were 2 and something at Franklin Simpson in 2017 and won the state championship. We were 0-4 last season and lost in the Regional Championship. Injuries caught up with us vs a tremendous North Hopkins team. My point is this. We will improve and grow at JH. Those first 5 won’t mean a hill of beans down the line. And in no way do we plan to be 0-5. But you never know. That’s the beauty of high school football. Love the kids and demand excellence and all else will come together. Just some thoughts.

I don't think it was a slight, coach.

Just about how tough the non-district sked is for a program.

Louisville Central (under Scroggins, playing the Jefferson County 6-A powers) and Louisville Trinity (playing a regional/national schedule) are two programs which had not-so-great starts and still ended year quite nicely.

Louisville Central (under Scroggins, playing the Jefferson County 6-A powers) and Louisville Trinity (playing a regional/national schedule) are two programs which had not-so-great starts and still ended year quite nicely.

No slight taken. Just my thoughts. Yes it is a pretty tough schedule against 3 6A schools and a top notch 3A program. Collins is a mystery at this point. I will say it's nice to just be talking about playing the season which more and more seems to be a good possibility. I also want to say how impressed I am with the assistant coaches we have been able to rehire and or bring back. Excellent men and I think very good coaches. In case you don't know their names: Marcus Hyche - 16 year veteran coach (maybe longer) that also coaches basketball; Greg Goodman - several years with JH; Aaron Evans- long time assistant; Eli Mitchell came back home last season to JH. He was QB on some tremendous JH teams; Adam Cobb returns after a season away and was also a great player at JH; Joe Stockton returns for his second season (also coaches track). A great high school player in his day. Adam Lindsey JH Head Wrestling Coach will be back with the football program. We are currently working on three more coaches including bringing my right hand man David Williams with me from FS. And there is no other person I have had the pleasure to work with in a support role like a fella named Chris Hoskinson. If you are connected to JH you understand how important and appreciated Chris is to JH football. I have had several inquiries of coaches looking to come to JH. I wish I could hire them all but at some point you can have to many coaches imo. I hope I haven't left anyone of this list. Another nice thing is all of these guys have coached and or played in the same offensive system we will run. Needless to say it is exciting to dream about the possibilities of our program and 4A football. I am also very appreciative and excited to work with Principal Mark Wells and AD Mike McCune. Chad Lewis as counselor is a tremendous person (and former JH HFC). All three of these men were a big reason why I took the position at JH. I am also very honored/excited about the alumni that have been reaching out to see how they can help the program. The interest in our re-established Booster club is very strong. Now lets just play some football.

Not sure how you figure Trinity had a not so great start. They lost to Male by 3 in 2 ots, and a loss on the road in Indy. They were 5-1 going into that game.

Regardless, good luck to John Hardin and their new coach in 2020. I hope those guys have a great season.

Not sure how you figure Trinity had a not so great start. They lost to Male by 3 in 2 ots, and a loss on the road in Indy. They were 5-1 going into that game.

Regardless, good luck to John Hardin and their new coach in 2020. I hope those guys have a great season.

I meant the 2014 and 2018 Trinity teams.

Sub .500 starts.

Pretty decent postseason runs.

Just trying to be objective coach. I would like to think that I have been around JH football and been a fan for as long as anyone. I remember the ST Xavier game that came down to the final play of the game at John Hardin in 2005 with the most fans I have seen in that stadium to date, the close loss to Christian County in 2008 at home, the loss to Highlands in John's only trip to the state championship, and all the heartbreaking losses to Bowling Green including the hook and ladder game in 2012, and the game in 2013 at Bowling Green where John came back from a 27 point deficit to take the lead in the 4th quarter only to be unable to stop the Bowling Green offense on their final drive. When John Hardin was dominant, they were fun to watch and one of their keys to success was a strong middle school program. Over the last 5 years they have only fielded teams at Bluegrass with 20-25 players leaving the cupboards bear at John. The John Hardin team that played Central Hardin in the second game of the season last year was the worst John Hardin team I have seen since inception. When John was dominant, that stadium was electric and they were fun to watch. I remember when they hosted Highlands, who brought 3 charter buses full of fans. Now that was fun to be a part of. Here is hoping that John Hardin can return to its football glory years. I was good for the area. I only started following Central Hardin the last 5-6 years because of my kids attending that school and participating in sports and the addition of Mattingly to the program, which has achieved success like never before.

For what its worth, I have picked Central Hardin 3rd in their district this year behind Meade County and North Hardin.

Good luck coach