Open Job: Red Bird

It’s actually in Leslie County based on how the river bends around the school. When it was public school Leslie and Clay fought over it all the time. Phone number is a clay co land line. Early 90’s through 1998 they were really good. They were in the same district as Bell, Pineville and Middlesboro. They were probably the second best team in the region a couple times but Clay was loaded. John D Wilson hall of fame coach did an awesome job while he was there.

Looks like you're right...Red Bird Mission is about three-quarters of a mile south of the Clay County/Bell County line.

Looks like you were correct, I called the BOE to clarify. The old school was in Bell County, the new school is in Clay County.

It’s actually in Leslie County based on how the river bends around the school. When it was public school Leslie and Clay fought over it all the time. Phone number is a clay co land line. Early 90’s through 1998 they were really good. They were in the same district as Bell, Pineville and Middlesboro. They were probably the second best team in the region a couple times but Clay was loaded. John D Wilson hall of fame coach did an awesome job while he was there.

I called the BOE to clarify, Leslie County not involved, The old school was in Bell County, the new school is in Clay County.

Early 90’s through 1998 they were really good. They were in the same district as Bell, Pineville and Middlesboro. They were probably the second best team in the region a couple times but Clay was loaded. John D Wilson hall of fame coach did an awesome job while he was there.

Never won a district title but were runners-up to Bell County in 1992, 1993, 1998, 1999, and 2000. Beat Cawood in the region in 1992 before getting routed by Clay. Advanced to the region finals in 1998 and fell to Clay County by five. I might be incorrect but I think the 1998 team had a kid right near the top of the state in scoring. The 2001 team was featured on a great ESPN documentary about Kentucky high school basketball that doesn't seem to exist anywhere anymore.

Never won a district title but were runners-up to Bell County in 1992, 1993, 1998, 1999, and 2000. Beat Cawood in the region in 1992 before getting routed by Clay. Advanced to the region finals in 1998 and fell to Clay County by five. I might be incorrect but I think the 1998 team had a kid right near the top of the state in scoring. The 2001 team was featured on a great ESPN documentary about Kentucky high school basketball that doesn't seem to exist anywhere anymore.

Don't want to threadjack, so I'll just ask and maybe we can start a thread someplace. Anyone know more about this documentary or where it could be found?

Also seems like KET did a documentary on high school basketball around 1999ish. Are these the same?

Don't want to threadjack, so I'll just ask and maybe we can start a thread someplace. Anyone know more about this documentary or where it could be found?

Also seems like KET did a documentary on high school basketball around 1999ish. Are these the same?

Not the same as the KET one. The KET has bits and pieces on Youtube. I've never seen the ESPN one anywhere. Ashley Judd narrated the ESPN. Seems like it was three nights (maybe 1 hour each night).

• 4 months later...