Open Job: Bowling Green

Coach Derrick Clubb has resigned as HC at Bowling Green, per release to the BG Daily News. He finishes at 75-25, completing exactly 100 games. His .750 win percentage is third at Bowling Green in the last half century. His teams won three consecutive District 14 titles, but lost in the region title game each time to the runner-up Warren Central.

Whoever comes in will take over a team that will be heavily favored to win the region, so long as the team remains intact. And as currently composed, they will be considered a fringe state contender.

DFire,

Does this surprise you? I am not very close to the Bball program, but considering the strong team set to return it does seem odd to me to leave now. Any insight you can provide is appreciated.

DFire,

Does this surprise you? I am not very close to the Bball program, but considering the strong team set to return it does seem odd to me to leave now. Any insight you can provide is appreciated.

Yes, it surprises me. Pretty much all my thoughts are speculation, but if I'm being honest, I think he might have been given a nudge out the door. Expectations are high for next year, and the team clearly was building to that season for each of the last two. I find it entirely possible that after failing to win the title in each of the last three years that those in power decided they wanted to try something different next year. I also find Coach Clubb's reasoning that he wants to spend time with his kids as entirely plausible as well, so you never know. It just seems strange, because especially in 2018-19, it felt like they leaned into the youth movement heavily, and most of the time the only reason to do that is to build towards something in the future. To give that up on the doorstop of that year seems odd. I do know that from a lot of people I talked to that they thought that if they had not won it next year under Clubb that he would have been in grave danger at that point. So eyeballs were already on it. The Bowling Green head job carries a lot of expectation, especially at the point that Clubb took it over. I do not believe he had the best team any of the three years he was coaching (although he had it in 2018-19 before shedding two seniors midseason), so I don't really get phased by them not winning region. But three straight years losing at the end when you had only lost three total in the previous nine years.....

Yes, it surprises me. Pretty much all my thoughts are speculation, but if I'm being honest, I think he might have been given a nudge out the door. Expectations are high for next year, and the team clearly was building to that season for each of the last two. I find it entirely possible that after failing to win the title in each of the last three years that those in power decided they wanted to try something different next year. I also find Coach Clubb's reasoning that he wants to spend time with his kids as entirely plausible as well, so you never know. It just seems strange, because especially in 2018-19, it felt like they leaned into the youth movement heavily, and most of the time the only reason to do that is to build towards something in the future. To give that up on the doorstop of that year seems odd. I do know that from a lot of people I talked to that they thought that if they had not won it next year under Clubb that he would have been in grave danger at that point. So eyeballs were already on it. The Bowling Green head job carries a lot of expectation, especially at the point that Clubb took it over. I do not believe he had the best team any of the three years he was coaching (although he had it in 2018-19 before shedding two seniors midseason), so I don't really get phased by them not winning region. But three straight years losing at the end when you had only lost three total in the previous nine years.....

Well said and good insight! Thx!

I do feel that following the State Championship team and coming in young and with a young team that the only outside view was for the team/program to go down. As you mentioned, he probably didn't have the best team to win region any of the past 3 years, but at BG you are likely expected to win at least 1 of those 3 region games regardless. Maybe not fair, but likely true after the State Championship year.

I do think it is a really attractive job now, as the new guy will be in great position to go forward next year for sure. I'm not sure what's in the hopper for the Purples, but next year should buy the new guy some time anyway. It will surely be interesting to see who applies and ultimately who is chosen.

Got to think Buttery is an option with his son on the team and with having prior experience. Also, is there a correlation with Embry stepping down at South Warren?

Good points Lee!

I knew Embry's Dad who coached at Warren East back in the day when they were a real force.

That's an interesting possiblity!

Got to think Buttery is an option with his son on the team and with having prior experience. Also, is there a correlation with Embry stepping down at South Warren?

I doubt it. Coach Embry's wife has lung cancer, which was diagnosed just after the start of the season. It had been speculated for months that he would step down after this year.

Guest 11th insider

Zion Harmon back to bowling green now seems plausible..... especially if Sherrill makes a return...