NKY Team of the Decade Bracket

Cincinnati.com has a bracket going for the top teams of the decade in NKY boys/girls and Cincinnati boys/girls. The bracket is in the Elite 8 rounds with voting ending Friday. Here are the NKY boys. Whose the best NKY team of the decade? Discuss!

Elite 8 matchups:

2018 Covington Catholic vs 2019 Walton Verona

2017 Scott vs 2010 Holmes

2014 Covington Catholic vs 2013 Holmes

2017 Cooper vs 2015 Newport Central Catholic

1st round results:

2018 Covington Catholic over 2015 Covington Catholic

2019 Walton Verona over 2014-2015 Campbell County

2017 Scott over 2011 Dixie Heights

2010 Holmes over 2016 Newport Central Catholic

2014 Covington Catholic over 2019 Covington Catholic

2013 Holmes over 2010 Newport

2017 Cooper over 2012 Boone County

2015 Newport Central Catholic over 2018-2019 Campbell County

At first glance with no thought involved I got 2018 CovCath over everybody.

I agree. Two D1 players. Shot 57% including 46% on threes. Hard to say anyone else was better.

The team missing from the bracket that should be in the mix is 2018 Cooper which beat CCH earlier in the year.

At first glance with no thought involved I got 2018 CovCath over everybody.

Best two teams listed (talent wise) are probably 2018 Covcath and 2010 Holmes.

That 2010 Holmes team was LOADED with talent and probably one of the biggest disappointments not to win a region title. Beat Newport by 18 and 10 during the regular season then got boat raced by 26 in the region finals.......due to reasons I probably shouldn't get in to.

I don't know who wins between 18 Covcath and 10 Holmes, but that Holmes team's size and athleticism would have given them a lot of problems:

6'4 R Johnson, 6"4 J Johnson, 6'3 Slusher, 6'6 Rice, 6'8 Pittman

'18 Covcath team was more disciplined and focused. '10 Holmes team was more talented top to bottom, IMO.

Best two teams listed (talent wise) are probably 2018 Covcath and 2010 Holmes.

That 2010 Holmes team was LOADED with talent and probably one of the biggest disappointments not to win a region title. Beat Newport by 18 and 10 during the regular season then got boat raced by 26 in the region finals.......due to reasons I probably shouldn't get in to.

I don't know who wins between 18 Covcath and 10 Holmes, but that Holmes team's size and athleticism would have given them a lot of problems:

6'4 R Johnson, 6"4 J Johnson, 6'3 Slusher, 6'6 Rice, 6'8 Pittman

'18 Covcath team was more disciplined and focused. '10 Holmes team was more talented top to bottom, IMO.

Word up! Good to see you, old homey. Hope all is well your way.

Word up! Good to see you, old homey. Hope all is well your way.

I'm still around. Just not involved with the local/NKY high school stuff anymore. Starting a family and work schedule don't allow me the same amount of free time that I had in my early/mid 20's.

I'm still around. Just not involved with the local/NKY high school stuff anymore. Starting a family and work schedule don't allow me the same amount of free time that I had in my early/mid 20's.

I feel that. It’s good to see you back on here again.

Good thing too. I’d forgotten how good that team was. Both of those teams playing at their best......that’s the game I would want to see.

Good thing too. I’d forgotten how good that team was. Both of those teams playing at their best......that’s the game I would want to see.

I was thinking they were the year before. I would still go with CovCath, but that Holmes squad was really good.

People forget how good that Holmes team was because they didn't win region. Came in to the year preseason top 25 in the country but don't remember if it was from USA Today or Maxpreps.

-Pittman was a future pro.

-Ricardo helped lead Ohio U to a sweet 16.

-JJ I think went the NAIA route...Campbellsville?

-Rice had D1 interest but didn't play his SR year so that ended things for him.

- Slusher went NAIA (Mid-Continent??)

-Sophomores Chris Hayes, Jaleel Gray, and Dontel Rice all ended up playing in college. (JUCO)

Also had 6'3 Demetrius Avery off the bench (Transferred from Conner but didn't make much of an impact because of injuries) who went NAIA (Mid-Continent).

They beat a loaded Memphis Central team that year in the Marshall Co Hoopfest that had Jarnell Stokes (Tenn), Dre Applewhite (Mississippi St), and Tim Peete (Tulsa) and lost by 3 in overtime to Jordan Sibert (Ohio St to Dayton) and Princeton, who at the time was considered the best team in Cincy.

Finished 25-6 against a tough schedule that included:

Bowman Academy (IN 2A State Champs)- Dejuan Marrero (Depaul) & Tyrae Robinson (Ball State) L

McEachern, GA- Trae Golden (Tennessee) L

Chaparral, AZ- Zeke Chapman (Ball State) W

Mason Co- 10th Region Champs- State Semi Finalist (Neal Pawsatt, Treg Setty) W

Ballard- State Runner Up (Ian Chiles, Devante Parker, Lavonne Holland) L

Christian Co- 2nd Region Champs- Elite 8 (Anthony Hickey, Shaq Wilson, Donovan Kates) W

Losses to McEachern and Bowman came after blowing double digit second half leads.

Edited by Walter