Coronavirus.... one approach

Screen Shot 2020-03-23 at 4.40.33 PM.png

Sent this screenshot to my kids/families earlier today....prep for 2020 Preseason

Even though I am an old coach, and the son of an old HS football coach, this Coronavirus has been new territory. Our spring practice came to a halt after three days. We had three GREAT days and I am thankful we got those days. We may be the only program in the state that had any days at all.

It has been crystal clear to me where my thoughts and focus should be. And, this fits me and my personality. I would never judge any Coach for doing what he thinks is best for him, his family and football program.

For me, as a HS head football coach, I am trying to do two things right now:

1) stay connected to my kids/players, families and coaches.

2) Prepare for the preseason.

Through email, instagram, facebook, twitter, remind app, phone and text, I've tried to keep communication open between myself and our football family. Today, our Chaplain, former Titan, D Smith, reached out to our families as well. Our families have responded well to D making that effort.

I've been very clear with our kids and families that what our guys are doing NOW will impact our team and performance this fall. If my expectation is that all of our guys are working to prepare for the preseason, I need to do the same and at a very high level. 2020 should be the best planned and organized preseason that it can possibly be.

I also know this, I want all of us to "OWN" our response and the consequences that go with it. If I show up for the first workout unprepared, I can't say..."I would have been prepared if it weren't for the Coronavirus." No, if I show up unprepared, that is my fault. I can't blame that on the Coronavirus. I owe it to our guys to prepare NOW so they can get the very best when we are back together.

One confession.... when this is all done.... I will certainly appreciate our players, coaches, workouts, practices (especially at 6 am!) , bermuda grass, indoor facility, etc. and much more. I am embarrassed at how much I have taken for granted.

If any coaches have ideas on staying connected with your team during this time, please email me at coachdavidbuchanan@gmail.com. And, if you want to talk football, shoot me an email as well.

Football WILL be back. When that happens, we will be ready!

I was under the impression that this time was considered a "dead period" and no contact was allowed for instructions etc...?

Contact is allowed during this dead period. It is one of the exceptions to the normal summer dead period.

I was under the impression that this time was considered a "dead period" and no contact was allowed for instructions etc...?

This was in the email from Julian Tackett when the dead period was put in place.....

This restricted period does not preclude communication between school, athletic department and coaching representatives to team members and/or families of players on the current roster;

You can contact players. You just can’t coach/train them. Different people are going to interpret that in different ways I believe. One example would be is it ok to give/post workouts that can be done at home? Some would say you can. Others would so no. Some would say you could post it as long as you don’t give directions.