8 Spencer Co.

8 Lexington Catholic

8 Lincoln County

Waiting in the wings:

7 Ohio Co.

7 Robertson Co.

7 Phelps

6 Montgomery Co.

If I've overlooked a team, or a total is incorrect, please post. And at the risk of jinxing anyone, I wish continued success for all

... to a certain point of course.

I like seeing Ashland on this kind of winning streak and having a great season for EKY. I'm not a big high school basketball fan, I'm one of those football nuts.

With that being said, does Ashland have a legit shot at winning a state championship this year?

I think they do. I haven’t seen them play but I have followed them all season. If they can win region and make it to Rupp I think they would have a legit shot to win it.

I like seeing Ashland on this kind of winning streak and having a great season for EKY. I'm not a big high school basketball fan, I'm one of those football nuts.

With that being said, does Ashland have a legit shot at winning a state championship this year?

You ask an honest question and I will give you an honest answer. I have seen every team in the top 20 play, I have seen Ashland twice. I'm not saying it can't happen, but it might just take a miracle. So do they have a legit shot at winning it, my answer is no.

Ashland is basically perimeters oriented. If they are making shots they can compete with any team. I’ve seen them when they are really clicking on all cylinders and all five players are knocking down shots and I’ve also seen them where they have struggled with the exception of one or two players. I think the two games that 4Quarters is referring to that he saw, Trinity and Mason County, fall into the category of not the best shooting games for them and as a result they struggled in those two contest. But as I said, when their ball movement is sharp and they’re nailing their open looks they are a dangerous team.

The Tomcats haven’t achieved this record by luck. They’ve put in a lot of hard work starting last summer and hopefully their success continues.

Yes and no, but they gotta get out of the region first. If they accomplish that goal then they certainly have a legit shot, but so do about 6-8 other teams at that point.

They're undersized but make up for that with their shooting ability/ball movement (they're one of the best passing teams I've ever seen at the high school level) on offense and their speed and coaching adjustments on defense. They're the kind of team that if just looking at their roster and size they wouldn't typically be in the conversation. The fact that they're undefeated though isn't a fluke, they have been clutch when they have needed to be to pull out a close win. The kids have a lot of fight (will to win) in them and coach Mays has done a great job of putting them in the position to win games when they aren't shooting as well as usual.

That said, they rely on their shooting ability to essentially "break" teams and go on big scoring runs to put the game away. When their shooting is off, they're certainly beatable by the other top teams in the state and they're not shooting that well at the moment. They seem to play their best when they're playing top teams though, so it's entirely possible they can run a few games off in a row of really good shooting and win the thing. Personally I believe they are a year or two away from that, but they're still legit contenders (if they get there) this season.

Ashland is a very good team, but they and John Hardin (or E-Town) will likely share the same burden - that is an extremely tough path to the title thanks to the draw.

It is a really tough draw, for any of those you mentioned. But that's part of it, just gotta go out and string a few really good games together. If they do make it to Rupp they will have plenty of fan support there with them, I haven't seen attendance levels this high for Ashland games in 20 years.