MLB Free Agency

$$$$$$$$$$$

I read where he is giving up $100 million over four years. He is 31 years old. Although I don't follow all the salary info from MLB, this seems to be a bit of a calculated risk IMO. What are they paying starters of his caliber and health nowadays?

I read where he is giving up $100 million over four years. He is 31 years old. Although I don't follow all the salary info from MLB, this seems to be a bit of a calculated risk IMO. What are they paying starters of his caliber and health nowadays?

He'll get a raise, probably close to $30,000,000 a year for 5 or 6 years.

• 3 weeks later...
Yasmani Grandal (Brewers) gets a 4 year deal worth $73 million from the White Sox. They say they're going to play him 3 or 4 days as catcher and then the rest of the week will be between DH and 1B. Probably the best way to keep his bat in the lineup for all 4 years.

The largest contract in ChiSox history seems rather small.

• 2 weeks later...
Zack Wheeler signs with the Phillies. Apparently a 5 year deal worth $100m+. According to reports, the Reds were actually on the short list to land him.

Also, Cole Hammels signs a 1 year deal with the Braves.

I think I saw that Wheeler deal was just shy of $120 million. Cincinnati might have been on the short list but I saw that another team (who wasn't the Reds) actually offered him more money but he chose the Phillies, something to do with proximity to his wife's family.

I think I saw that Wheeler deal was just shy of $120 million. Cincinnati might have been on the short list but I saw that another team (who wasn't the Reds) actually offered him more money but he chose the Phillies, something to do with proximity to his wife's family.

May have been the White Sox. I believe I saw them in with the Reds and Phillies a week or so ago.