Joe Maddon out as Cubs manager

The Scribe

The Cubs and Joe Maddon have agreed to part ways. It's probably the best for both sides. I always felt like the Epstein/Maddon marriage was like Billy Beane and Art Howe. Epstein put together a team the way he saw fit to win and Maddon would tinker, especially in the bullpen. Managing a bullpen is not a strong suit of Maddon's, and it almost cost them the World Series in 2016. Four pitching coaches in four years seems to back that up.

I'm good with the move. I think Joe heads back to the AL, most likely the Angels where he cut his big league teeth.

I would like to see the Cubs go after Joe Girardi. He's a proven winner who knows how Chicago sports works. He is also not one to shine the spotlight on himself the way Maddon was prone to do.

Mark Loretta and David Ross have been mentioned as possible replacements. Cubs history has shown their biggest success has come with an experienced manager. We'll see.

The biggest issue is the farm system. The Cubs mortgaged their future for the World Series title. I'm good with that. Most Cubs fans are good with that. But their lack of home-grown pitching is glaring. And Lester and Hamels are getting old.

At the end of the day, I'm good with the move. The average life span of coaching success in baseball is 8-10 years. In some places like New York, Boston, and Chicago, it's 4-5 years.

I agree with the above. Maddon cut his teeth in the Angels system under Scioscia. He is an American League manager at heart and like the Cubs did, they will throw a bunch of money in free agency to make sure it works out of the gate.

I like David Ross, but I get the same heebie jeebies like when Ryne Sandberg's name was mentioned several years ago -- no experience but the fans loved him as a Cub. The Cubs have only won with experienced managers. I just don't know.

Of course, if they don't get rid of 90% of the bullpen, Terry Francona couldn't win with them in 2020.

Take it from a Cardinals fan you don’t want anybody with any managing experience. Matheny didn’t have any at any level and he was brutal. Don’t let his record fool you. Once Larussa’s influence wore off it was even more of a dramatic drop.

Theo Epstein has now fired the two greatest MLB managers of our generation, Terry Francona and Joe Maddon.

Good luck to the next guy.

Theo running out of scapegoats on the North side. Traded away a lot of talent and now we’re not winning. He’ll be next if he doesn’t turn it around quick.

You nailed it, Jorge Soler ouch Theo!

Or Eloy, or Gleyber, or Cease...

Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad we got a World Series, but I said after 2016 if we didn’t make at least one more appearance before 2022, I’d be disappointed. Seems like the team has gotten complacent with just being “good”.

I like David Ross a lot, but very seldom does someone with no experience come in and win. I really hope they don't go that route.

Aaron Boone on line 1 for you. (jk)

In all honesty, if the Cubs DO go that route, I think this is exactly what they'll be basing their decision on. Could a small market team like Kansas City or Cincinnati afford to go that way? Probably not. But there's probably 4 or 5 franchises out there (the Cubs being one of them) who could immediately address any on-the-field shortcomings, and help that rookie manager more than most of the other clubs could. And if you can get a guy whom the players trust and can relate to them...then it might be worth the risk.