Lord help me. I'm HLpreps

HLpreps

Greetings, I'm Jared Peck, the new man behind @HLpreps on Twitter and the Lexington Herald-Leader and Kentucky.com.

I wanted to jump on here to see what the fans out there are talking about. Most of you I imagine are superfans of your schools and know more than I can possibly fit in my brain. I just ask for your patience with me as I settle into all that comes along with covering high school sports for the Herald-Leader. I'll make mistakes (and already have), but my primary function is to do what I can to tell great stories. That's what I'm going to try to do.

I am from Paducah and did in fact work with the great Joey Fosko at the The Paducah Sun. He was only a couple of years older than me and we went to the same high school (Lone Oak). When I became an intern and sports clerk at The Sun, Fosko had already turned his part-time clerking job into being the full-time cops beat reporter. He transferred over to sports shortly after. He had a photographic memory and an encyclopedic knowledge of local sports. He was a marvel.

I am following in the footsteps of Mike Fields and Josh Moore at the H-L. Both greats in their own right for different reasons. I'm told I have "very big shoes to fill." And I often feel like I'm standing here with small feet and no personality. I'll do my best.

As for my professional background, I worked as a city beat writer in Winchester and Mayfield in the 1990s before jumping behind the scenes as an editor and manager in Columbus, Ga. and Lexington. I've been at the H-L for nearly 20 years, mostly doing jobs that have since been outsourced to other parts of the corporation. As an editor, I wrote headlines including "Tubby Bolts From the Blue," "Horton Seals a Whew" and "Eighth Wonders."

The last few years I've been sports writing -- covering Internet viral stories along with the "non-revenue" UK sports and helping Josh with the high school beat, especially soccer since my kids play that sport.

So, that's me. I look forward to hearing from you and seeing you out there. Let's have some fun.

Jared Peck

• Like 1

Glad to have you here, Jared!

Here are a few items to point out to you that might help you along a little:

1) Here are the BGP Terms of Service, which include our rules for posting, and our policies for posting game threads and posting 3rd party links.

2) Avatar/Profile Picture help for all of our new Members.

3) Your User Control Panel is basically your the home base for your account, where you can check/sent private messages, see any recently updated threads you've subscribed to, and arrange your personal settings & notifications for the site. I highly recommend setting your account so you automatically subscribe to any threads you've posted in. Then you will be notified if anyone posts further in those threads.

4) The What's New feature will show you any threads that have been posted in/updated since you last checked. One of the more useful tools on BGP.