4A off-season discussion thread

It feels like a good time to get the ball rolling on the conversation for the 2019 season. This is the place to discuss everything from preseason rankings, to the top teams, players, and coaches in the 4A. Any and all topics concerning class 4A in 2019 are welcome here.

- Who's your top 5? Top 10?

- Is there a clear favorite going into the season?

- Who's the best player in 4A?

- Is there someone out there we haven't heard about yet that's primed for a breakout year?

This class is about to get an injection of life courtesy of 3A. Boyle County, Central, and Corbin should all three make immediate noise in 4A after moving up. Same goes for Anderson County dropping down from 5A. Johnson Central should remain among the top of the heap, but two time defending champion Franklin-Simpson lost a ton of production. Not sure what to expect from the Wildcats.

On talent alone, Boyle could be preseason #1, but you could make an argument for JC.

I don’t see Anderson County as nearly a big a player as I do Corbin, Boyle, and Central. Anderson County is decent but probably 7-10 range in 4a and a huge gap between the top handful of teams and everyone else.

I don’t see Anderson County as nearly a big a player as I do Corbin, Boyle, and Central. Anderson County is decent but probably 7-10 range in 4a and a huge gap between the top handful of teams and everyone else.

I’m not trying to sidetrack the thread and I’m not being sarcastic either. Is there any class that this doesn’t hold true?

4A is tough and could be the most loaded class.

1) Boyle County

2) Johnson Central

3) Franklin-Simpson

4) Anderson County

5) Corbin

6) Central

7) Madisonville

8) Lexington Catholic

9) Franklin County

10) Knox Central

I don’t believe there is a huge gap between us and 10. I see all 10 being very solid with 1 through 6 having a shot. I don’t understand the Anderson hate. They bring back almost their entire team from last year and lose Collins but get Labhart which at worst is a wash. They will be 2-6 by seasons end. Top 6 are stacked. 4A is the best class in football this year.

Reese Smith best player.

I can’t give you a top 10 but I would say top 5 in no particular order would be Boyle, Johnson Central, Corbin, Franklin-Simpson, Central. This class went from a 2 horse race to a pretty stacked field with 7-8 teams that could make a legitimate run to the state finals. As far as best player I’m going with a homer pick and say a healthy Reese Smith from Boyle. You must know where he is on both sides of the ball at all times. He has D1 offers to play on both sides of the ball at either WR or Safety ultimately choosing to play WR at WVU.

I’m not trying to sidetrack the thread and I’m not being sarcastic either. Is there any class that this doesn’t hold true?

4A is tough and could be the most loaded class.

I think that is generally true across the board yes.

1) Boyle County

2) Johnson Central

3) Franklin-Simpson

4) Anderson County

5) Corbin

6) Central

7) Madisonville

8) Lexington Catholic

9) Franklin County

10) Knox Central

I don’t believe there is a huge gap between us and 10. I see all 10 being very solid with 1 through 6 having a shot. I don’t understand the Anderson hate. They bring back almost their entire team from last year and lose Collins but get Labhart which at worst is a wash. They will be 2-6 by seasons end. Top 6 are stacked. 4A is the best class in football this year.

Reese Smith best player.

It's not really hate Anderson just needs to prove it to me on the field, their schedule lacks teeth so it's hard to get a gauge on them and how good are they really? I'd be really curious for your justification of having Boyle so far ahead of Central and Corbin when Corbin blanked Boyle 21-0 last year before losing to Central.

Last years Corbin and Central teams were totally different teams than this years. Most of their major contributors graduated for both teams. Most of Boyle’s are back. Not hard to look at what the teams will have in 2019 and see why I have them that way. Now every year there are teams that do way better or way worse but for the most part we can only go by last year minus graduates plus transfers, injured returns, and star underclassman. Boyle lost some but the bulk of stars are all back. The bulk of talent from Corbin and Central are gone. Not to mention some losses from Central to transfer.

It's not really hate Anderson just needs to prove it to me on the field, their schedule lacks teeth so it's hard to get a gauge on them and how good are they really? I'd be really curious for your justification of having Boyle so far ahead of Central and Corbin when Corbin blanked Boyle 21-0 last year before losing to Central.

Boyle did not have a healthy Reese Smith in the Corbin game. Most everyone is back from that team that only lost that one game at Corbin in the semi-finals.

Bartelson also returns for his Senior year. He just committed to Notre Dame. Three year starter at QB Lanter returns. Wilson Kelly is back to anchor the D Line.

Central and Corbin lost significant parts of their team from last year.

That’s why Boyle looks like a heavy favorite in preseason.

I can’t give you a top 10 but I would say top 5 in no particular order would be Boyle, Johnson Central, Corbin, Franklin-Simpson, Central. This class went from a 2 horse race to a pretty stacked field with 7-8 teams that could make a legitimate run to the state finals. As far as best player I’m going with a homer pick and say a healthy Reese Smith from Boyle. You must know where he is on both sides of the ball at all times. He has D1 offers to play on both sides of the ball at either WR or Safety ultimately choosing to play WR at WVU.

No class got a bigger facelift over the off-season than 4A. It went from being arguably the most predictable class over the past couple of years to maybe the most wide open, along with 5A.

Johnson Central hasn't been challenged in the playoffs prior to the finals since 2015. There's a good chance that changes this year.

If I’m not mistaken the eastern part of the 4A playoff bracket looks to be quite entertaining due to cross bracketing and the recent KHSAA change where teams play district opponents in the first couple rounds. Boyle’s path is daunting to say the least. It would be Bourbon co, Lex Cath/Anderson, Corbin/Knox Central then Johnson Central. Ouch

How does the playoff system go for this year? Boyle had to play at E-town in 2017 and back to back road games at Belfry and Corbin in 2018. It would be a shame if the 2020 class would not get to host a late round playoff game on their home field.

Also, there was talk last year about re-seeding the final 4 teams. Was this scrapped?

Do any of the Boyle County fans know if Boyle County will be participating in the Central Hardin 7v7 again this year? I don't get to see them play, so I enjoyed watching them in 7 on 7 last year. I think its in late July or was last year.

How does the playoff system go for this year? Boyle had to play at E-town in 2017 and back to back road games at Belfry and Corbin in 2018. It would be a shame if the 2020 class would not get to host a late round playoff game on their home field.

Also, there was talk last year about re-seeding the final 4 teams. Was this scrapped?

Teams will stay within their districts for the first two rounds, meaning playoff rematches of regular season games are guaranteed for round 1 and round 2. District championships won't be awarded until the conclusion of the 2nd round. Think of the first two rounds as a district tournament like we have in basketball and baseball.

Once the field is whittled down to the final eight teams, those teams will be reseeded within each semi-state using an RPI system.

The Quarterfinals would look like this...

West #1 vs. West #4

West #2 vs. West #3

East #1 vs. East #4

East #2 vs. East #3

The winners of those games would meet in the semis. Higher seeds host. No more alternating between odd and even years/districts.

Hope that was helpful.

Edited by DevilMayCare