Is Logan Castleman the runaway choice for Mr. Baseball?

One of my friends, Brad Ratliff, posted this on Facebook.

I’m going to try to keep this as short as possible, but there is a lot to say about this young man & just exactly what he has accomplished, not only this baseball season, but his entire decorated career at Beechwood....I’ve been apart of & following Beechwood & it’s athletic programs since I was born. Literally some of my first memories in life are of watching my uncles play on Friday nights from the old wooden bleachers. I grew up loving everything the place is about, I grew up idolizing all the great players from the 80’s, & then was lucky enough to be a football & baseball player in the 90’s myself. I’ve seen, known, & been great friends with some of the best players to ever walk the halls of our cherished Alma mater. And I can tell you without a doubt & unquestionably, that Logan Castleman is in the very upper echelon of the very best of former Tigers who came before him, and he will be forever.

That alone would be a really cool story. But on top of his athletic prowess, there’s one of the very finest young men you could be lucky enough to meet. He’s the kind of student you would want in your classroom if you were a teacher. He’s the kind of young man you’d be proud to have date your daughter. He’s the kind of kid that coaches dream of being able to coach. And one day, he’ll by the kind of man you would hire in a second to be apart of your company. Paul Castleman & Chris Castleman, you don’t need me to tell you, but congratulations on raising such an awesome young man.

He deserves every award, slap on the back, accolade, and form of praise that are sent his way. To look at these absolutely insane, video game like numbers he put up this senior year season of his...Well, they speak for themselves & will not be repeated anytime in the near future. It’s truly incredible to put up these kind of stats in a 30 plus game season (that just can’t be stated enough, it’s just so hard to do what he has done). So best of luck Logan & to the entire Beechwood baseball team as you play for the district title tonight & moving on to the regional tournament. You’ve got an entire school, community, & past alumn’s behind you & wishing you all the success you deserve!

logan.jpg

Logan: Best of luck with your candidacy for the 2019 Kentucky Mr. Baseball Award. There is no one more deserving. From all the current & past Tigers, we thank you for the past 4 years & all that you gave us to cheer about. It was a pleasure to watch you play & to get to know you!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations to Logan on an incredible season and career. I would like to see his career numbers. If that batting average stays there, it will be Kentucky's #5 all time season batting average.

As to Mr. Baseball, I can't think of a better choice.

Logan is an amazing high school football player too and a member of the 2018 All BGP Football Team.

http://bluegrasspreps.com/ky-football-high/2018-all-bluegrasspreps-377475.html

Logan is an amazing young man. No matter what he does in his future life, he will be great at it. It has been a pleasure to watch him over the years in both sports. I know he will be amazing in both academics and sports at Wright St. I wish him the best and know he will represent Beechwood with class!!!!!

Hacker from Rowan is in the conversation.

Thanks for the heads-up. Pretty impressive credentials on Hacker. Power pitcher that gets it done at the plate, too. So much of Castleman's contributions don't show up in stat book unless you are there...like range in outfield...shotgun arm that keeps runners from advancing....baserunning savy....# of balks caused when on the bases. Hacker possibly does something similar; but, his measureables are pretty impressive. Great candidates. Wonder who other worthy candidates might be.

Is that Scotty Hacker's son?

Yes, he is.

My two cents... Castleman and Hacker have both performed at such an incredibly high level this season for two of the top teams in the state, that it could simply boil down to who enjoys more postseason success in the coming weeks.

They are both very deserving of the award.

Hacker's numbers for comparison:

On the mound

0.67 ERA

110 K's in 62 innings

At the plate

.446 batting average

8 home runs

45 RBIs

I haven't seen enough of the rest of the state to claim Mr. Castleman as the best player in all of the state, but I have seen him several times in both football and baseball.

The one thing I always came away being amazed of was how down to earth he seemed. With social media, etc, it isn't very often that we see a player who is clearly the best on the field come off as extremely humble and not braggadocios.

He is a great person to at least be representing all of NKY in the running for Mr. Baseball.

Yes, he is.

My two cents... Castleman and Hacker have both performed at such an incredibly high level this season for two of the top teams in the state, that it could simply boil down to who enjoys more postseason success in the coming weeks.

They are both very deserving of the award.

Hacker's numbers for comparison:

On the mound

0.67 ERA

110 K's in 62 innings

At the plate

.446 batting average

8 home runs

45 RBIs

I am still a Castleman fan; but, Hacker's 9-1 record adds another pretty heavy stat to the argument.

Have said this in several threads, the talent is exceptional; but the intellect for the game rings loudly and obviously every game. Have not seen a better Mr. Baseball candidate.

A good example of his sports game intellect happened in last year's Simon Kenton football game. Simon Kenton had to do an onsides kick in the last minute of the game. The kick was perfect. It took that high bounce over the Beechwood front line and looked like it was going to get past the second line also. Castleman was in the second line not far from the sideline. He leaped as high as he could but realized he couldn't catch the ball because it was too high over his head. He was able to get a hand on it and very smartly swatted the ball out of bounds. It was a very smart play that needed instant reaction. That play preserved the Beechwood win.