Who do you want to replace Marty Brennaman?

I don't want this discussion to overtake the Marty retirement thread so let's start a replacement thread. I am not doing a poll because I honestly don't know who I would put on it. I do know my first choice by a wide margin is Dan Hoard. Ironic for me to say that because I liken his style to Vin Scully, and I am not really a Vin Scully fan (too much talking for my liking, Scully never, ever, ever shut up). BUT, back on topic, Hoard's style is like Scully with the anecdotes and unknown facts but he keeps it under control. Dude will do his homework and bring interesting angles to the sport that almost demands that type of conversation as part of the play by play.

Baseball is a very different game to call on the radio. Not sure what you expect from a baseball play-by-play guy but they have to talk a lot with not a lot of action (and even less today with walks, Ks, HR). Scully was a master at calling a game.

I do agree with the assessment that Hoard would probably fill the role well. I like him on basketball but not so much on football. I think that is more due to him being with Lapham (who is awful) and rubbing off on him.

Tom Nichols from the Dayton Dragons would be a good fit. He's very good and would be my first choice.

Hopefully one day, '09 Brossart grad Andrew Kappes will get a shot to call games for his hometown Reds. I think he had been the broadcast guy for the Pirates AAA team in Indianapolis for the last few years. He would bring some young energy to the booth that might attract the younger fans to the radio rather than the TV.

Hopefully one day, '09 Brossart grad Andrew Kappes will get a shot to call games for his hometown Reds. I think he had been the broadcast guy for the Pirates AAA team in Indianapolis for the last few years. He would bring some young energy to the booth that might attract the younger fans to the radio rather than the TV.

He does a very good job but I'm biased, his mom and my wife are related.

Give me Dan Hoard. I think he’s fantastic. I don’t think it’s realistic though. Between the Bearcats and the Bengals it would be a very strenuous schedule traveling the entire year. He would have to ditch one of the other two.

Probably can't explain it very well, but Dan Hoard's voice is too in your face for me and always in one mode of sound that never changes. Prominent for sure but same same same and loud loud loud. I liked Joe's calm relaxed way, and I'd rather have a more reserved relaxing voice because 9 innings of in your face just won't work for me.

Give me Dan Hoard. I think he’s fantastic. I don’t think it’s realistic though. Between the Bearcats and the Bengals it would be a very strenuous schedule traveling the entire year. He would have to ditch one of the other two.

I think Hoard would choose Reds baseball over every other one. Here is an article I found from last year by the Cincinnati TV/radio writer John Kiesewetter. He reiterates some of my comments in the OP.

Who Will Be Marty Brennaman's Successor? How About Dan Hoard? | WVXU

He also talks in that article how Hoard started with baseball in his broadcast career and left the WXIX 19 sports director job in 2006 to go do AAA play by play in Pawtuckett. Ohio Sportscaster of the Year in 2015 and 2017.