FYI - Weather Alert Category Numbers

nWo

I will be instituting a new thing for weather alerts. When I post a forecast or Severe Weather Day I will include a category number. They will go from 1-5 and will correspond with the NWS thunderstorm categories.

Outlook-category-descriptions.png

For instance for tomorrow Wednesday 6/27/18, I would say it is a category 1 Severe Weather Day. If the severe chance increase, I would issue the corresponding category number. Today's would have been a category 2 Severe Weather Day. I think this will let our members know better the severity of the possible severe weather for that day.

Is there something like that for watches and warnings? I always get them mixed up, but I could handle the color coded boxes.

The only thing I know that shows the different level of a watch is a PDS(Particularly Dangerous Situation) Watch. This is mainly used for a tornadic situation were conditions are primed for long-lived intense tornadoes. Also, there is a high confidence in multiple EF2-EF3 or violent EF4-EF5 tornadoes. This type of watch is rarely used by the NWS. If one is issued for the area a person lives in they should be extra diligent about the weather conditions during the watch.