Ashland 2018

Ram

Dual threat QB Braxton Ratliff (1,745 yards passing, 762 yards rushing, 37 total TDs) will be the centerpiece of the offense. Gone is ultra versatile playmaker Aroq Colburn (over 1,600 yards from scrimmage and 24 total TDs). He led the Tomcats in rushing and receiving. RB Blake Hester (773 yards rushing, 6 TDs) and WR Isaac Caines (473 yards receiving, 6 TDs) will have to step into leading roles next season. I'm not sure what their personnel ended up looking like on the OL last year, but John Stone is the only returning starter that I'm certain of.

Junior Jones returns to anchor the D-line. They'll have to replace big hitting Marcus Daniels at MLB and Vance Krueger on the outside. Colburn leaves big shoes to fill in the secondary. Hester and Caines should pull double duty on the back end.

Same story, different year. The path to a deep post-season run goes through Johnson Central. Ashland was able to usurp the district crown from JC last season, but couldn't get it done when it mattered most. It'll be a tall order to conquer the Golden Eagles in 2018. Ashland showed it wasn't intimidated last year, and any team with the arm and legs of Braxton Ratliff always has a chance to win anytime they step on the field.

I could be wrong but I think 3 of 5 starters return on the O-line. Maynard, Stone, and Reece Ryan. Also, Cade Brandt who has been making a splash on the bball team also plays football and from what I hear football is his best sport.

Reese Ryan's a senior. Did Brandt play football last year? I didn't see his name on the roster.

• 5 months later...

Apparently, the Tomcats are getting new uniforms this year, including a return to white helmets. I'm all for it. I always loved the 90's era Ashland unis. It would be nice to see them go with the white helmet, maroon jersey, silver pants look again.

• 2 weeks later...
Apparently, the Tomcats are getting new uniforms this year, including a return to white helmets. I'm all for it. I always loved the 90's era Ashland unis. It would be nice to see them go with the white helmet, maroon jersey, silver pants look again.

I like the maroon helmet much better than the white.

Come on, LRCW. You've got to admit, these are pretty sharp. Nothing fancy, but a very clean look.

[ATTACH]66806[/ATTACH]

All they need now are the silver pants.

[ATTACH]66807[/ATTACH]

Still like the maroon helmets much, much better.

Regardless of what they are wearing, this should be the best Ashland team in a long time.

3rd year starter Ratliff at QB already has a D1 offer and can win games with his legs or his arm. Pittman is one of the fastest backs in the state. Hester has hit the weights hard and looks primed for a good year. South Point transfer Brandt brings big time athleticism at the receiver spot. A healthy Ryan Bryant is a scary proposition for opponents. The offensive line is very experienced led by 3rd year starter John Stone at center. Junior Jones on the defensive line is a beast.

The Tomcats are the real deal this season. Now is it enough to beat Johnson Central? I don't know, but it certainly should be interesting.