Majority of Americans Identify as "Pro-Choice" Instead of "Pro-Life"

Science Friction

From the May 2015 Gallup :

50% identify as "Pro-Choice" while 44% identify as "Pro-Life." But even "Pro-Lifers" aren't necessarily in favor of ending all legal abortions(see below).

A further breakdown:

Among U.S. Adults Surveyed :

29% - Should Be Legal in ALL circumstances

13% - Legal in MOST circumstances

36% - Legal in a few circumstances

19% - Illegal in ALL circumstances

2% - No opinion

Among those who identify as "Pro-Choice" :

50% - Legal in ALL circumstances

21% - Legal in MOST circumstances

23% - Legal in a few circumstances

4% - Illegal in ALL circumstances

2% - No opinion

Among those who identify as "Pro-Life" :

4% - Legal in ALL circumstances

5% - Legal in MOST circumstances

51% - Legal in a few circumstances

37% - Illegal in ALL circumstances

3% - No opinion

Takeaways from the survey : 78% of those surveyed believe that abortion should be legal in at least some, if not all, circumstances. Even among those who call themselves "Pro-Life," 60% believe that abortion should remain legal in certain circumstances.

BTW, 56% of women now identify as "Pro-Choice," compared to 46% for men.

Also interesting to note that there has been a steady increase in those who identify as "Pro-Choice" in all age demographics polled ( 18-34 , 35-55, and 55 & older) since the year 2012.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great minds.... Just barely beat you to it. Good post!

Anti-abortion means just that, however pro-life also includes anti-infanticide or anti-genocide or euthanasia. Great minds should also agree that abortion stops a beating heart. I don't really see any difference between pro-choice and pro-abortion except it sounds more socially acceptable. Yes, I know a fetus if not allowed to remain cannot sustain it's own life, so do you consider an unborn child a parasite? Do you also agree with the practice of drowning newly born kittens or puppies in a pillowcase, since no one wanted them around the farm or neighborhood. And yes as a child I tried to find them homes when the animals had not been spayed or neutered. This is one thing we will never agree on. Because Abortion stops a beating heart if not interrupted.

Anti-abortion means just that, however pro-life also includes anti-infanticide or anti-genocide or euthanasia. Great minds should also agree that abortion stops a beating heart. I don't really see any difference between pro-choice and pro-abortion except it sounds more socially acceptable. Yes, I know a fetus if not allowed to remain cannot sustain it's own life, so do you consider an unborn child a parasite? Do you also agree with the practice of drowning newly born kittens or puppies in a pillowcase, since no one wanted them around the farm or neighborhood. And yes as a child I tried to find them homes when the animals had not been spayed or neutered. This is one thing we will never agree on. Because Abortion stops a beating heart if not interrupted.

There is something we agree on ? :) j/k I do think you are a fine woman. I have no doubt you have a great heart. Let me ask you, from your point of view is there ever a time when a woman should be able to make a choice for herself concerning the termination of her pregnancy or should it always be out of her hands?

There is something we agree on ? :) j/k I do think you are a fine woman. I have no doubt you have a great heart. Let me ask you, from your point of view is there ever a time when a woman should be able to make a choice for herself concerning the termination of her pregnancy or should it always be out of her hands?

I can't judge someone on their personal decisions but with today's modern medicine I would be a hard person to convince of the medical necessity. I'm not a monster who wants possibly other children to grow up without a Mother but in a lot of cases I've read, the physician gives a convincing prediction of pregnancy outcome based on certain over emphasized dangers.

I can't judge someone on their personal decisions but with today's modern medicine I would be a hard person to convince of the medical necessity. I'm not a monster who wants possibly other children to grow up without a Mother but in a lot of cases I've read, the physician gives a convincing prediction of pregnancy outcome based on certain over emphasized dangers.

If your daughter or grand-daughter was brutally raped( pardon such a horrible thought but just a hypothetical) by a stranger and on top of that suffered a severe beating that left her life in peril, would you want her(or family) to be able to decide what she wanted to do or should she or her family have no choice in the matter? She shouldn't have the option to terminate the unwanted pregnancy if that's what she decided to do?