Rumor: Georgetown College Moving to D3

Wireman

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the major differences between D-III and NAIA? D-3's can't offer athletic scholarships if I'm not mistaken?

I'm pretty sure that is correct.

A college coach--the most trustworthy college coach I've ever known--once said to me that they had to kick Happy Osborne off EKU's campus b/c he was haggling their players so much about transferring. The same coach said, and I quote, "Georgetown has more Division 1 players than Vanderbilt." :lol:

I've got absolutely nothing against G'Town. Just that those two comments struck me as very funny.

It would be a huge mistake, many schools like Georgetown, Cambellsville, Cumberlands, and Pikeville use athletics to boost enrollment, they give partial scholarships that up enrollment and the students still wind up paying half tuition or more, thus increasing the funds the university has.

This would be an odd move. Going DII woould seem to be more an equivalent move if they are looking to get out of NAIA. Which brings up the question..............how many schools still compete at the NAIA level? Is it stable or deteriorating?

Somewhere in the neighborhood of 280 schools participate in NAIA athletics.