Was Mayfield's title run in 2010 the most dominate ever in class A?

In this time of boredom I went back on the Mayfield website and watched some of the game replays of their 15-0 season yesterday and got to wondering if their domination of class A last year was the most dominant ever in class A. Keep in mind we were AA for a number of years so I am not as familiar with the teams in class A prior to the mid to late 90's. This Cardinal team had 11 running clocks, with only Beewood and a stubborn Crittenden County in class A avoiding a running clock. The Beechwood game saw the Cardinals take knees with a first and goal inside the 5 at the end of the game in a act of sportmanship or that game would have been a even wider spread than it was. The state title game saw Mayfield jump to a 47-0 lead with running clock in the 3rd quarter and Hazard's lone score came in the final minute of the game long after the starters had gone to the sidelines to celebrate. The Cardinals led class A in scoring as well as the entire state and only allowed 147 to be scored all year again first in class A and #6 overall in the state. Mayfield was also #1 in class A in scoring margin and #2 overall in the state. Has there been as dominating of a preformance in class A?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're just trying to stir something up, aren't you? :lol:

Wasn't it you not so long ago that told me to the victor goes the spoils and to enjoy these moments becasuse you never know if you will ever get back to the championship game again and with us being on the same side as The Great Beechwood Tigers who are so dominant that they were approached about naming rights to the title. I stick by my question though, was it the most dominant run ever in the class? I can't think of a more dominanting run.

Of course, Class A now isn't exactly what Class A was in the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s. If we still had four classes, we would've had a Mayfield-Newport Catholic matchup for the state title ... that could have been one heck of a game.

Of course, Class A now isn't exactly what Class A was in the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s. If we still had four classes, we would've had a Mayfield-Newport Catholic matchup for the state title ... that could have been one heck of a game.

And that's when reality would have set in, just ask Owensboro Catholic and their so called high scoring, potent offense.

And if Mayfield and Danville had of played in class A in the pasts, which they both played up durning some of the pasts, Bwood would have, never mind...

Anyway, we have lots of water in a 6 class system and that being that was this the most dominant? I am of that opinion but I know little of the great Pikeville and Bwood teams.

And that's when reality would have set in, just ask Owensboro Catholic and their so called high scoring, potent offense.

I do have some great NCC memories, even have a couple titles from back in my days on the field. They did have this one guy or man I should say that stands out. Will never forget the Jacobs kid or should I say man.

Bingo. Considering the modern class A has been in existence for 5 seasons now I guess you could make that argument. The far west can be horrendous, Mayfield is good, so it makes sense. You could say it is was the most dominating, but not sure I would concede the degree of difficulty was extremely high. And no I am taking anything away from their title run, they took care of business and took names doing so. More so calling out the system in place. Though they lost 1 game to Lexington Catholic, I cannot say they were much more dominating than LCA the season before.

Bingo. Considering the modern class A has been in existence for 5 seasons now I guess you could make that argument. The far west can be horrendous, Mayfield is good, so it makes sense. You could say it is was the most dominating, but not sure I would concede the degree of difficulty was extrmeley high. And no I am taking anything away from their title run, more so calling out the system in place.

Not disagreeing at all. It was not the most difficult and they benefitted from some local teams in larger classes on their schedule were down that normally are much better. Given what it was I think it was the most dominating that I know of.

I cannot say they were much more dominating than LCA the season before.

LCA scored less, lost 1 game be it to a pretty darn good team and they only beat Hazard in the semis by 7. Mayfield was undefeated and no one in the playoffs came close to challenging them

Without looking at it closely, if margin of victory and running clocks are the measuring stick, I doubt Beechwood can even come close and I don't think they ever will.

Hence a problem, my measuring stick and yours might be different. I do state what makes me feel they were the most dominant though you may measure differently but these are pretty good indicators of the domination.