Covington Cahtholic 11 Ft. Thomas Highlands 1 (5 innings)

CovCath beats a determine HHS group of young men by a score of 11-1 in 5 innings.

Theoldguy whats to acknowledge and give some credit to young Mr. Mason of HHS, for keeping the Colonels off the scoreboard for the first three innings. Nice job young man.

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly plus, PeeWee's Place Star of the game, Gruber Grill Defensive Star and BAWAC Inc. Offensive Star of the game, stats and more coming soon.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Good: Ben Maile who threw a two hitter while K's out 4 and walking 2. Ben who didn't allow a earned run pitched a very good game.

The Bad: The Colonels were much to aggressive at the plate today as in the first three innings Mason of HHS only had thrown a total of 29 pitches.

The UGLY: The play of the infield. CovCath had four errors today and not wanting to take away anything from HHS but if CovCath had done that against Badin yesterday, well......

Gruber Grill Defensive Star of the game. Not a single play that I can I point to that except Reese did a good job of patrolling the outfield. The young man can not only hit well but he does an outstanding job in center.

BAWAC Inc. Offensive Star of the game: Going with one of my guy's who doesn't get much credit for what he does and that is Ken Lonneman who with the bases loaded knocks in the run that sealed the game for the Colonels with a base hit past the short stop on a drawn in infield. Great job Lonni.

PeeWee's Place Star of the game: Brady Reese who had 2 hits scored a run had a rbi walked twice and was 2/2 SB.

Glad to hear Big Kenny got a knock. The kid is the poster child for perseverance as well as a great teammate.

And that is indeed why I made him my offensive star of the game. Indeed he is a great example of someone who tries so hard to be good and I for one appreciate his effort daily.

Highlands leads 1-0 going into the bottom of the fourth. Without a routine pop up dropped by the left fielder and a routine ground ball muffed by the second basemen in the 8 run CovCath fourth it is at worst a 2-1 game going into the fifth. Highlands on the right track just a few crucial mistakes. This game was much closer than the final score indicates............Highlands is well coached and can give team fits later in the year...

CovCath pitching:

Maile (W) 69 Pitches 21 PA 2 hits 1 run 0 earned runs 2 walks and 4 K's (2 looking)

CovCath hitting:

Reese 4 PA 1 run 2 hits 1 rbi 2 walks and 2 sb

Best 4 PA 1 run 2 rbi's and 3 walks

Lankheit 3 PA 2 hits double and 2 rbi's

Nienaber CR 1 run scored

Lonneman 1 PA 1 hit and 1 rbi

Severson 3 PA 2 rbi's and 1 hit double

Schneider 3 PA 1 run scored 1 hit and 1 rbi

Arzen 1 PA

Rolf 2 PA 2 runs scored 1 hit and 1 walk

Schriener 2 PA 1 run scored and 1 fc

Mader 1 PA 1 run scored and 1 walk

Maile 3 PA reached base via E-7

Robinson CR 1 run scored

Stein 3 PA 1 run scored 1 hit and 1 SF

PA 30 11 runs 9 hits 2 doubles 10 rbi's 6 walks 1 nutini (hbp) 1 sf 2 sb 1 fc and 1 E

CovCath improves to 8-1 and next plays a double header @ CovCath on the Thursday April 14th vs. Cooper at noon and then Holmes in a 35th District seeding game at 5pm.

BTW I believe the CovCath Frosh ard playing prior to the CovCath vs. Cooper game and then after but prior to the CovCath vs. Holmes game. If you have a day off and love baseball come on out to CovCath and watch four games Thursday.

Me? I have to work but will be attending the Holmes game!

Highlands leads 1-0 going into the bottom of the fourth. Without a routine pop up dropped by the left fielder and a routine ground ball muffed by the second basemen in the 8 run CovCath fourth it is at worst a 2-1 game going into the fifth. Highlands on the right track just a few crucial mistakes. This game was much closer than the final score indicates............Highlands is well coached and can give team fits later in the year...

All quite true, except it wasn't a routine ground ball hit to the HHS 2nd basemen. That ball took a nasty hop and hit the young man in the shoulder and bounced away.

Jeramie is doing an outstanding job at HHS and as I have said time after time, if given the support and the time, HHS will be a power in baseball too but I am not so sure many at HHS look at Baseball as anything more than something to do in the spring after basketball and before spring football.

All quite true, except it wasn't a routine ground ball hit to the HHS 2nd basemen. That ball took a nasty hop and hit the young man in the shoulder and bounced away.

Jeramie is doing an outstanding job at HHS and as I have said time after time, if given the support and the time, HHS will be a power in baseball too but I am not so sure many at HHS look at Baseball as anything more than something to do in the spring after basketball and before spring football.

Really? Wow, talk about respect! C'mon TOG! Maybe you should stick to the plays of the game for your Colonels.

Really? Wow, talk about respect! C'mon TOG! Maybe you should stick to the plays of the game for your Colonels.

Sorry for the misspelling of the name:

I am just calling it as I see it, after talking to some HHS people, in the CovCath parking lot after the game!

Sorry for the misspelling of the name:

I am just calling it as I see it, after talking to some HHS people, in the CovCath parking lot after the game!

Yeaaahhhh okay. We'll go with that.

Congrats to the Colonels on the "Sweep". :thumb:

You know I have tried to stay out of this as long as I could because Jeremy is a friend of mine. Yeah he is not just a baseball friend like some people. You are starting to really look foolish with your constant bashing of the Football program. Yeah, and I am calling it how I see it.....

I agree that patience is needed for the Highlands Baseball team. I predict this young team will give several teams fits by the end of the year. Coach Baioni is planting seeds for baseball that have never been planted to benefit the program.

No need to bash the football program. The sports can coexist with no problem. Coach Mueller was a baseball guy before a football guy. Dale played 4 years as a starting catcher at HHS, played college baseball at Cornell and played some minor league ball before coaching a down of football. I know Dale supports HHS Baseball. All sports take a commitment. The seeds for football have been here forever, but baseball has not. Its not coaches or the program preventing one from playing baseball, but the culture. Bluebird baseball can grow to a power if they continue on the path they are on.

Typical CovCath. On days that that can't beat you w/ the sticks, they wait for one miscue and then masterfully put the pressure on the D. They take a rattled D and force them to field sacrafice bunts and steals. It can unnerve a team for half an inning, and that's generally all that the Colonels need w/ the pitching that they usually have.