Using the Belt on Kids Like in the Good Ol' Days

Clyde

I see a lot of references on BGP to the good ol' days when Ma and Pa used the belt on Junior to teach him right from wrong. I hear a lot of people say it needs to come back and we'd be better off.

So, how many of you parents have ever used a belt on your children's rear end?

I got the belt when I was a kid. Heck, my babysitter used to hit me with a swtich on my bare bottom.

I've never hit my kids with a belt.

You?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the belt, the switch, the shoe, the hairbrush, the ruler, even a cast iron skillet to the head before. I remember vividly trying to sit in class with oozing whelps on my back, thighs and backside. I have never hit my kids with anything.

Whether it helped or not is debatable. I often got "it" for stuff I didn't even do, and just as often got "it" for stuff I did. Did I do the same things again? I don't think so. But I did run away from home, did leave home the day I graduated, didn't make one decision that was based on rational thought toward the future. All I wanted to do was get out of my parent's home.

Have only whipped my child twice. Never with a belt, just a hand smack to the backside. My mother was right when she said, "It hurts me more than it hurts you." First time I spanked my child. I went and locked myself in the bathroom and cried more than she did.

I do believe there is a place for a spanking.

My mom with a belt twice and I laughed. Then she figured out that grounding me was worse than any beating she could give me.

My dad ONE time with a belt that was all I "needed" for the rest of my life. My dad was an over the road truck driver and he told me what was coming three days before it happened. I had to turn and touch my toes. He literally lifted me off the ground and I fell; he said stand up "I am not finished." Ironically, I got the belt from him for sneaking out when I was grounded. I went out to play in a football game!!!

My kids with a belt once each.

Yes, I've been on the receiving end, and the giving end of the belt. And I never believed my dad when he told me, but it's true, it hurts the giver a lot more than it does the receiver.

So have your kids received the belt?

Rule 1: Never spank when you are angry.

Rule 2: If your anger is in check and the child deserves it, spank away.

Received the hand or sometimes a kitchen utensil when I was young. All I have ever delivered as a parent is the hand. Never given or received a belt.

I'm not a parent. I received the belt a few times when I was very young, but not as I got older. I rarely got in trouble at all, actually. And when I did, mom knew that sending me to the room to sit in silence (not watch TV, read, or listen to music) was the worst punishment she could give me.

I don't see me spanking my children, though. I see how I did not need it, and hope that if/when I ever have kids, I can get similar results as mom did.