Big East

RondoRules

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^ You got it. ND and Pitt at the top and the seeds they were given are laughable. Let me know when Mike Bray coaches the Irish to a big win. Said last night they would be exposed and they were. Jaime Dixon goes right up there with Jim Boeheim and Rick Barnes (I know not Big East) as coaches that get much talent and do little with it.

^^ You got it. ND and Pitt at the top and the seeds they were given are laughable. Let me know when Mike Bray coaches the Irish to a big win. Said last night they would be exposed and they were. Jaime Dixon goes right up there with Jim Boeheim and Rick Barnes (I know not Big East) as coaches that get much talent and do little with it.

Dixon made huge blunder by keeping his players on the FT lane last night with the score tied. I lay all blame on him for that game not going to OT. No excuse.

Dixon made huge blunder by keeping his players on the FT lane last night with the score tied. I lay all blame on him for that game not going to OT. No excuse.

You were right last night and tonight on that point. I believe the mighty Big East is 9 + 9 in the tournament. No conference should have more than half of their teams in the big show.

I've thought, and probably still feel, that the Big East is top to bottom the best conference in the country. But I also felt (and feel) that they lack a great team. I've thought all year, despite their conference struggles, that UCONN was the best team because they have the best player. Sir Charles hit it on the head when he said Kemba Walker is the only real elite player in the conference. I think we're seeing that UCONN is indeed the cream of the crop in the Big East.

I've never, ever been a believer in Pittsburgh. Jamie Dixon has choked away enough wins in the tournament to prevent me from taking them too far. Felt they were overrated all year, totally undeserving a #1 seed, & I had them bowing out to Kansas State in the Sweet 16. Same is true for the softies in Southbend. Mike Bray is of the same mold as Dixon, and I don't see the Irish ever making a serious post-season run on his watch. Also why I had Notre Dame going down in the Sweet 16.

Syracuse is the disappointing team in the conference IMO. They have arguably the best talent year in and year out, but the Orange are home early yet again.

St. John's & UL had excellent seasons, despite their early exits. And UC had a tremendous season--just didn't have the firepower to overcome Kemba Walker & company. If Gates stays next year, UC could be one of the league's top 2 or 3 teams IMO.

You were right last night and tonight on that point. I believe the mighty Big East is 9 + 9 in the tournament. No conference should have more than half of their teams in the big show.

Don't mean to keep beating a dead horse, but I also heard a couple guys on the National broadcast questioning this very issue as well (Kenny Smith and Len Elmore). Seems so fundamental and hard for me to comprehend how a coach at his level could make such a huge mistake. As an AAU coach, I always pulled my guys off the line in these situations. So basic. I totally agree with you about no conference should have more than half of their teams in the show. Hopefully, it will be different going forward.

My question is this ... if the Big East isn't the best conference, which conference is the best? Is it the ACC because they have 3 teams in the Sweet 16? They are the only conference with more teams in the Sweet 16 than the Big East. The Big East was 7-4 in round one, which is a solid showing. They have underperformed but not by that much. Did anyone expect them to go undefeated in round one? What should their record have been after round one? Two of their losses in round two were to Big East teams. I think it is all overblown.

So what conference is the best? I think the only conference that could even make an argument is the Big Ten. They were 5-2 after round one and are 7-5 in the tournament with 2 teams in the Sweet 16. The ACC is kicking butt in the tournament. Maybe Va. Tech should have got in over Villanova.

My question is this ... if the Big East isn't the best conference, which conference is the best? Is it the ACC because they have 3 teams in the Sweet 16? They are the only conference with more teams in the Sweet 16 than the Big East. The Big East was 7-4 in round one, which is a solid showing. They have underperformed but not by that much. Did anyone expect them to go undefeated in round one? What should their record have been after round one? Two of their losses in round two were to Big East teams. I think it is all overblown.

So what conference is the best? I think the only conference that could even make an argument is the Big Ten. They were 5-2 after round one and are 7-5 in the tournament with 2 teams in the Sweet 16. The ACC is kicking butt in the tournament. Maybe Va. Tech should have got in over Villanova.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying. Still hold to the belief that the Big East is the best top to bottom.

While the 7-4 first round effort was good, that's pretty much negated by the awful 2nd round--especially the annual disappointing performances that are Syracuse, Pitt, & Notre Dame. UCONN is going to have to carry a Big East torch that is not shining nearly as bright as it once was.