Rockastle County 62 Manual 60 (OT)

It was a heck of a game and I'd say they rolled up the sidewalks in Mt. Vernon Saturday as about half the arena was filled with Rockcastle fans. Congrats to a great group of kids! I talked to my wife after the game and reminded her of when our son played against Angie Lawrence in Junior Pro ball and I said, "I wouldn't be surprised if that kid doesn't win a state title before she graduates.". Way to go girls....what a game! Glad I was witness to it! I'm also glad it was Manual that played them as both teams were #1 in the polls and now there isn't much argument that both of them were deserving to be in the game. I was very impressed by all four final four teams in Rockcastle, Manual, Marion and Calloway.

I was there for every game but Friday evening and I'm still in shock and amazement. Every team there played their hearts out and it was a super-exciting tourney. The senior leadership of the Lady Rockets really made a difference, IMO. I was sitting directly behind the officials at midcourt on Saturday night and the thing that impressed me the most about Sara Hammond was her command of her team on the floor. She is clearly the leader and the others all look to her for direction. I watched her on several occasions, especially in OT, take control of the game by her actions. She read Angie's face at the end and got out of the lane so Angie could get off the game-winning shot. The Rockcastle girls have played together so long they clearly think as one--it was obvious.

I will say this, I don't know if Manual got tired or what, but they had the game in hand in the 3rd quarter. They were up by 9 and they started stalling. Then they would miss the shot and the Rockcastle girls got hot from outside. It almost seemed as if Manual took themselves out of their running game by holding the ball. JMHO.

Most of you have no idea what this team means to the people of Mt. Vernon and the other tiny communities. Those girls are home-grown, and their families have lived there for generations. To have that group of young women, from a town with 3 elementary schools, one middle school, and one high school, take on the best in the state and win--it's just indescribable. 40 years from now when these young women are grandmothers, people will still be talking about it. It wasn't quite "Hoosiers" but it was pretty darn close.

"Welcome to Rockcastle County, Home of the 2011 Girls State Basketball Champions"

:dancingpa:dancingpa:dancingpa:dancingpa:dancingpa