Perry Jones suspension highlights NCAA's 'pathetic course'

gametime

It is a curious ethic that is in play now in “amateur” sports. The athlete is presumed to control his universe. It now is his responsibility not only to work at achieving enough as an athlete to make himself attractive to an NCAA college, and to become educated enough to be admissible academically, but also he must be in complete command of all around him.

Siblings, uncles, cousins, friends. Oh, and parents. Especially parents.

The athlete who does not control his parents is at risk of embarrassment, isolation and – most painfully – inactivity.

If he does not control his parents, he will not be allowed to play.

It seemed so odd to hear the initial reports that freshman forward Perry Jones had accepted improper benefits and jeopardized his eligibility to compete at Baylor. Shy, unassuming, polite – so self-unaware he hasn’t even begun to recognize the breadth of his talent? That kid?

He had his hand out?

Well, perhaps not. He did not play for Baylor in Wednesday’s quarterfinal debacle at the Big 12 Tournament in Kansas City. He was declared ineligible to compete for allegedly accepting a “pre-enrollment benefit” outside the boundaries of NCAA rules.

Except this wasn’t a car he’d been given to drive by someone’s business manager. It wasn’t reduced-priced housing for his family. It was, allegedly, a series of three short-term loans between his summer coach and his mother.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2011-03-09/perry-jones-suspension-highlights-ncaas-pathetic-course#ixzz1GAjJvoKj

Does anyone find it ironic that Jones is suspended for the remainder of the season while the Ohio State Football players were allowed to play in the remainder of their season (bowl game) and not suspended until the next year? :rolleyes:

Does anyone find it ironic that Jones is suspended for the remainder of the season while the Ohio State Football players were allowed to play in the remainder of their season (bowl game) and not suspended until the next year? :rolleyes:

The situations are different, but I get your point. Who butters the bread? Football and a school like tOSU does. Baylor basketball with a relatively little known one-and-done talent, who was not getting in to the tournament, holds little relevance.

Who butters the bread? Football and a school like tOSU does. Baylor, who was not getting in to the tournament, holds little relevance.

And that is the perfect evidence of the statement that MONEY rules the day in the NCAA.

The situations are different, but I get your point. Who butters the bread? Football and a school like tOSU does. Baylor basketball with a relatively little known one-and-done talent, who was not getting in to the tournament, holds little relevance.

How do you see the situations as different?

And that is the perfect evidence of the statement that MONEY rules the day in the NCAA.

Which is why I was so shocked that Kanter wasn't ruled eligible. UK basketball makes the NCAA a ton of money. I figured a booster would just pay off the right people. I don't like the NCAA all that much, but I figured their corruption would benefit UK in that situation.