Switching Regions-Opinions

I was just wondering what kind of opinions people have about the change made with officials moving to different regions to officiate Regional Tournaments. I am sure that coaches have thier own opinion, I was just wondering what the opinions of the fans might be? Do you see a major difference in the calls, etc?

I am a firm believer that it is better to stick with what is "known" than to gamble with what is "unknown". Sure, each and every region has it's "bad" officials (using that term lightly here...not meant to bash any one particular person). But, each and every region conversely has it's "good" officials too. So, for the regional tournament, I'd much rather see guys in stripes who have seen me and my team's style of play throughout the year...than three guys who just walked through the door. In a one-and-done type of tournament, there's too much at stake to have a severe learning curve for how the officials are going to call the game.

Ok this is the best way to explain the need to change officials in the region. Every year in the 11th region there is a good chance that Lexington Catholic or Scott County will make the regional final, sometimes they both will. Officials know this as well. With the scratch system we have in place coaches are allowed to scratch 2 refs each year, it might be 3 but I am pretty sure it is 2. So as an official you want to ref the regional finals, especially in a region like the 11th. This is where the problem begins, so many officials dont want to get scratched by SC or LC so they make sure they dont upset these coaches. It creates an unfair bias during the regular season for other teams in the region. For example why would a ref care if they get scratched by a coach who's team doesnt have a realistic shot at making the regional championship? I like the idea of going out of region for officials.

Ok this is the best way to explain the need to change officials in the region. Every year in the 11th region there is a good chance that Lexington Catholic or Scott County will make the regional final, sometimes they both will. Officials know this as well. With the scratch system we have in place coaches are allowed to scratch 2 refs each year, it might be 3 but I am pretty sure it is 2. So as an official you want to ref the regional finals, especially in a region like the 11th. This is where the problem begins, so many officials dont want to get scratched by SC or LC so they make sure they dont upset these coaches. It creates an unfair bias during the regular season for other teams in the region. For example why would a ref care if they get scratched by a coach who's team doesnt have a realistic shot at making the regional championship? I like the idea of going out of region for officials.

I agree. :thumb:

As long as the regions are selecting the best officials (which is always going to be subjective to SOME degree), I don't have a problem with it. For the best officials, the learning curve shouldn't be too steep.

In my calm, objective opinion (and remember I am an outsider looking in) I think these games are too important to have a "stranger" as a ref. Not only does every team in the region get to know each other but the refs in those regions get to know each player as well. They know how physical each team typically is, the know what really makes each team go. And I think this makes for a better game.

I am a firm believer that it is better to stick with what is "known" than to gamble with what is "unknown". Sure, each and every region has it's "bad" officials (using that term lightly here...not meant to bash any one particular person). But, each and every region conversely has it's "good" officials too. So, for the regional tournament, I'd much rather see guys in stripes who have seen me and my team's style of play throughout the year...than three guys who just walked through the door. In a one-and-done type of tournament, there's too much at stake to have a severe learning curve for how the officials are going to call the game.

Could not disagree more. There are no biases when other region officials work. Great idea and I hope they continue to do it.

Could not disagree more. There are no biases when other region officials work. Great idea and I hope they continue to do it.

I will not disagree with you that there are no biases. However, you can't tell me that every region calls games the same way. Yes, they are going by the same rules...but there are differences. It's similiar to what MLB used to be when one league had their homeplate umpires wear the chest protector on the outside, and the other league had them wear it on the inside. Yes, the strike zone (by rule) was the same...but the "interpretation" of it (for lack of a better word) was different. Some regions (and their officials) are used to a more physical style of play. When you get someone "new" looking at it for the first time, however...they may be blowing their whistle all night. And the opposite may be true...players (especially penetrating guards) who are used to getting contact AND getting to the free throw line becuase of it, may suddenly find themselves being "mugged" in comparison, and no whistle.

The one difference I saw last night was the difference in the charge/block call. It seemed to take a little bit more to get the charge call. Referees seemed more likely to call it a block. I think it was 9th region officals calling 10th region game.

The one difference I saw last night was the difference in the charge/block call. It seemed to take a little bit more to get the charge call. Referees seemed more likely to call it a block. I think it was 9th region officals calling 10th region game.

That is my biggest arguement is the manner in which different regions call games. At this time of the year each team has developed a style and system in which they play and I am not sure if the change is needed.

I agree with panther fan.

So what if the manner in which the "new" referres call the game is just a litte different than what the "regular" refs in that region have called all year. It's fair for both teams with no bias for how the teams have previously played. Good teams and good players can adjust !!

From a coaches standpoint you would prefer what is known. From a ref standpoint, i would like working outside of my region. Coaches are less likely to yell at you by name and fans will not yell as much at you. They might yell about a call, but not necessarily at you the ref.

So at the State tournament when I particular team makes it they out to bring in a crew from that region to do their game? Also, at the State tourney the crews have never worked together and are made up of 3 from a different region. Why do you think at state you are not allowed to do a game with a team from your region? Why should it be any different at the regional level to determine who gets to play for the championship?

I agree with panther fan.

So what if the manner in which the "new" referres call the game is just a litte different than what the "regular" refs in that region have called all year. It's fair for both teams with no bias for how the teams have previously played. Good teams and good players can adjust !!

At this point in the season you don't want to have to make big adjustments. The regular season is for preparing for the post season. You find a style of play that works for your team and work on it over the course of the regular season to get your team ready for the post season. If your team is a physical team, you find out how physical the refs in your region let teams be, and you go with it. You don't want refs in the regional tournament that blow the whistle at the slightest bit of contact because that is not how your team has been playing all season.