Is T. Jones a top 5 NBA Pick?

jericho

After watching the UK/Vandy game I can not see how he is projected so high. The kid looks lazy, lackluster, no skills to the right side, confused. All he has is size. NO WAY HE IS one of the top 5 to 10 players in college or overseas. At the end Knight was on the foul line barking instructions and being a true leader and seemed like he was telling T. Jones what to do.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like the draft class this year is going to be really weak, which definitely helps players like Jones. I made a similar comment last night that he is totally not ready for the league. He really doesn't have a whole lot of offensive game other than the is bigger than the majority of his opponents guarding him. He does rebound hard though.

I would say yes. I do not think he is one of the top 10 players in the NCAA, but that has nothing to do with the NBA Draft or NBA success. On potential he is a top 5 pick. He has the size and athleticism to play in the NBA. He is about the size of Patterson and plays much higher above the rim than Patterson ever did in college. I will be shocked if Jones is in Kentucky Blue next year or if he is not a top 5 pick in the Draft.

The NBA drafts on potential....Top 5-10 pick easily.

:thumb:

It's not his size alone. It is the combination of size and versatility. For a 6'8 guy, he has good range and can handle the ball well. And, as far as potential goes, consider how good the guy is right now as a college freshmen with all the flaws people have pointed out in his game.

NBA teams are going to draft him looking ahead to what he will be when he learns to go right, when he matures, and when he improves other aspects of his game. His potential is higher than most of the potential upcoming draftees.

It seems like UK fans often lose sight of two things when analyzing a player's draft potential.

1. The NBA drafts primarily based on potential.

2. The probable draft class. What great players will be entering the draft to drive Jones down the board?

I'd love to see him return for another year, and he undoubtedly could use another year to mature and improve and ready himself for the NBA. But, realistically, he isn't going to drastically improve his draft position.