Simon Kenton 18 Ryle 10

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know any specifics, but from what I've heard so far from those at the game Ryle played like they thought they were going to win by just showing up.

Ryle should know better than that. They've handed it to us the last couple of years but this is a sweet win. Congrats to SK and coach Marksberry.

Raiders pretty much beat themselves, four turnovers and four big penalties pretty much stopped all of their drives. Congrats to SK, they played hard.

Don't know if I would have thrown on 4th down and two when the drive was successful to that point but I guess Coach Warner saw everybody up and thought he could sneak on in.

Ryle was simply outplayed and outhustled and SK showed more emotion. A big win for them and they deserved it. Man, that Ponzer kid is quick.

Ryle was very disappointing. Dropped passes (two for TD's), frequent fumbles, and costly (and dumb) unsportsmanlike penalties. I also have to question the play calling on Ryle's last series. They marched easily from their 48 to SK's 15 yard line on 5 or 6 running plays, then tried a pass that should have been picked on 2nd and 3. They get stopped for no gain on 3rd down and the 4th down pass wasn't even close. Ryle just doesn't have any meaningful passing attack.

The feeling among many that I've talked to is that Ryle takes on the personality of the head coach. So, unsportsmanlike penalties are not a big surprise. I think his aggressiveness spills over to the players. Tonight, it may have hurt them.

:thumb: A source from the game also told me that both the coaching staff and the players were somewhat overlooking the next 3 games, and practice this week in Union was pretty soft...

The feeling among many that I've talked to is that Ryle takes on the personality of the head coach. So, unsportsmanlike penalties are not a big surprise. I think his aggressiveness spills over to the players. Tonight, it may have hurt them.

Don't know that I'd agree with that. There is a big difference between being aggressive and crossing a line to unsportsmanlike. I see nothing at all about Warner that is unsportsmanlike.

I will say this though. I think there may sometimes be a lack of accountability when players repeat mistakes. If a player drops a TD, gives up a TD (amongst several passes), fumbles a ball, and gets called for (at least one) unsportsmanlike call all in the same game, then that player should be on the bench. Ryle has a lot of talent on the sidelines and if players are repeatedly making mistakes, then perhaps it's time to give someone else their chance. I do think Warner has a tendency to stick with the same players regardless of their performance.