The 2 Point Conversion Debate

Original Rookie

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

UK should have went for to after their final TD, right?

Yes because at that point a 6 point lead is no better than a 5 point lead and a td by UL and the extra point which is automatic with them would have costed UK the game. But if they go for 2 and get it they are up 7 and would force UL to attepmt a 2 pt conversion if they didnt want to kick it and go to overtime.

I agree with the sentiment here...in most cases, I don't think you should go for two until it's near the end of the game and you have to.

Obviously, UK should have gone for two at the end of the U of L game, but if you can't keep a team out of the end zone with 28 seconds left in the game, you probably don't deserve the win anyway. That said, can you imagine the backlash he'd have faced had U of L managed to score and then won the game by a point...he may not be coaching this week.

I will say, there could be some situations when I could see going for two earlier than the end. If you're locked in a defensive struggle in which you're having virtually no success moving the ball or putting points up, maybe you would want to go for two to tie a game earlier than the end...I'm not saying I would or wouldn't, but I think there are times when you should play it by feel as the game goes.

I think the coaches sheets are useful, but I don't think they should depend on them exclusively. A coach should know the scoring situations and what the benefits of two points will be...however, like most on here, I think it's stupid to chase the points early in the game. I'm pretty comfortable in saying that's it likely I would never go for two in the first half of a game.

Did Brooks say why they didn't go for 2?

Yes.

Brooks admitted that he made a mistake in not going for two points after Johnson's go-ahead TD that put UK up 39-34. Brooks said by the time he realized he needed to go for two, it was too late. Tight end Jacob Tamme was running frantically up and down the sideline trying get the official's attention to get a timeout, but Brooks said he didn't want Tamme to go out onto the field of play and draw a penalty for having 12 men on the field

Brooks

^Not so sure that's what I want to hear from my coach. One would think he would know what was going on in the game. I know everyone was excited from the TD, but he's the head coach, he has to keep his head and lead the team.

He's human...it happens.

You go for two at any point in the game that it is pointless to kick a PAT.

For example, you score a TD and are up 29-28 on the opposing team. No matter how much time is left you go for two because a the PAT gives you only a 2 POINT advantage, both of which are null when the opposing team kicks a field goal.

For those of you that say going for 2 affects momentum, here is what I have to say about that. The only time it affects the momentum of the game is if there is potential to go up 1 point or be down 1 point if you miss the 2-point conversion.

^Not so sure that's what I want to hear from my coach. One would think he would know what was going on in the game. I know everyone was excited from the TD, but he's the head coach, he has to keep his head and lead the team.

UK is in unchartered waters :D, next time will be better.