Deaton Leaves Whitley Co.

Well today the news was spread that Colonels coach Mike Deaton will be going back to Somerset. He said it was family reasons. What does everyone else think about the situation?:ylsuper: :ylsuper:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whitley always has a Plan B ready......Many Whitley people say they've already had a replacement wrapped up for weeks, such as was the case when Deaton was hired just a short year ago after much pageantry. Any word on who it is? The other thread has mentioned names, but not much info.

Where is Apex when you need him? He's usually in the know on these things.

I hope Deaton and Turley are getting frequent flyer mile points for all the traveling they do. Why do these schools hire these guys knowing its a red flag for see ya next year............maybe!!!!

I didn't know Somerset's head coaching position was open. What happened to Thacker?

He may not necessarily be going to SHS. He was principal at Pulaski Co. HS before going to Whitley. There were rumors of folks at SHS being disenchanted with Thacker, although I can't understand why.

Well today the news was spread that Colonels coach Mike Deaton will be going back to Somerset. He said it was family reasons. What does everyone else think about the situation?:ylsuper: :ylsuper:

Was it really Deaton's choice to leave?

Yep it was Deatons choice. The Colonels will still be fine w/o Deaton, they are doing extremely well in summer camps. 12-3 to be exact

Where have the Colonels been playing this summer? Who has defeated them? Which of the assistants' has been coaching the team?

So the revolving door for basketball coaches continues at Whitley Co...What a shame for the kids at WCHS...

It is a shame. Generations of Colonels seems to be in a tail spin concerning basketball. Whitley would be one of the larger schools in the area and has not produced a district winner in over 25 seasons. What is the major problem? They seem to have numbers, feeder system and nice facilities. Apparently they can offer a lot of money to attrach a good coach, why do they not stay and put some roots down? There must be something really unusual going on out there.

Bubba what I have seen over the past couple of years is the program at Whitley is all about pleasing the parents. That is what everyone gets involved in. Until this stops you will not be seeing any District or Region Championship Trophys in the Colonels Trophy Case.