What should the Bengals do with the number one draft choice?

  1. #1
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    156,681

    What should the Bengals do with the number one draft choice?

    I imagine my opinion is in the minority but here goes, I would trade down (a couple of times) to get the maximum amount of "2nd Round Like" draft picks and build the 2020 Bengals around Andy Dalton.

    What would you do?
    Advertisement

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Oct 11
    Posts
    511

    Delete.

  3. #3
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    156,681

    Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    Burrow. Trade Dalton for pick(s).

    However, I'm not completely opposed to your strategy.
    Sure, your strategy works for me too.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    34,267

    As bad as it looks record wise, I don't think the Bengals are as far away as the record indicates. I mentioned this in another thread. Teams that have had as many losses as the Bengals that were one score losses usually bounce back the next year with a winning record. Put the number one pick at left tackle, keep Cordy Glenn, get AJ on the field, find a good linebacker and another above average offensive lineman and this team can have a winning record as is.

    Draft Burrow. Time to move on from Dalton.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    23,458

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    I imagine my opinion is in the minority but here goes, I would trade down (a couple of times) to get the maximum amount of "2nd Round Like" draft picks and build the 2020 Bengals around Andy Dalton.

    What would you do?
    I’m just curious what about Dalton’s play makes people think they should build around him? Not to mention after next season he will cost between 20 to 30 million a year to keep.

    Do people forget we have seen Dalton when he was surrounded with one of the most talented teams in the league between 2011 and 2015 and he was the weak link of those teams the majority of the time.

    People seem to not be able to get a 10 game stretch in 2015 out of their head when he was more consistent than usual, and just ignore the other 8 years of data on him. There is 8 other years of data on him that suggest that 2015 was the exception not the rule with him.

    IMO I think his injury saved him with some people. If he doesn’t get hurt, I still believe they lose to the Broncos in prime time, and I definitely think they still lose to the Steelers in prime time in the rain. So if Dalton does play and they lose those same games as they did with McCarron. Then I doubt people look back at 2015 and say well but Dalton in 2015.

    IMO he is Ryan Fitzpatrick but getting to do it at one place. He has games where he looks great, some where he is flat terrible and a lot of in between. He is what his stats and record say he is, and that is an average QB. I hope he proves me wrong and wins a title with someone else because he is a great guy. However, it is time to move on and hopefully find a true franchise qb and build around him while on a rookie contract for five years.

    Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to get all my keeping Dalton thoughts people may have out in one post lol.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    23,458

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    As bad as it looks record wise, I don't think the Bengals are as far away as the record indicates. I mentioned this in another thread. Teams that have had as many losses as the Bengals that were one score losses usually bounce back the next year with a winning record. Put the number one pick at left tackle, keep Cordy Glenn, get AJ on the field, find a good linebacker and another above average offensive lineman and this team can have a winning record as is.

    Draft Burrow. Time to move on from Dalton.
    Agreed.

  7. #7
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    51,337

    Bengals are 30th in total defensive yards and 25th in scoring defense.
    26th in yards from scrimmage offense and 32nd in scoring offense.

    A QB won't fix all of that. I'd take @theguru's plan and milk that pick for everything that I could get out of it.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    23,458

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    Bengals are 30th in total defensive yards and 25th in scoring defense.
    26th in yards from scrimmage offense and 32nd in scoring offense.

    A QB won't fix all of that. I'd take @theguru's plan and milk that pick for everything that I could get out of it.
    Which way ultimately gets you closer to the end goal, which should be a championship. I’m sorry we seen Dalton with talent around him and he ultimately was the weak link the majority of those years.

    Is getting say a Joe Borrow going to fix everything to where they are super bowl contenders next year? Nope. Is getting Joe Borrow and he ends up being a true franchise QB getting them closer to a title better than keeping Dalton and paying him between 20 to 30 million a year? Yes.

    With Dalton can they possibly maybe even get to the playoffs as early as next year with that plan? Yes. However if the end goal is for a title, doing that doesn’t get them closer because we seen Dalton fail four times already with talent around him and quite honestly failed badly with how bad he played.

    The goal should be 2022. Get Borrow and do whatever you have to do to surround him with the best players possibly on offense. 2021 focus on the defense and maybe adding another piece. They maybe even could compete for a playoff spot by then. Then in 2022 they should be in a spot where they should go all out to do whatever they can to go for it all that year. Borrow would be in third year of rookie contract, so truly could still spend money and go for it.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    34,267

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    Bengals are 30th in total defensive yards and 25th in scoring defense.
    26th in yards from scrimmage offense and 32nd in scoring offense.

    A QB won't fix all of that. I'd take @theguru's plan and milk that pick for everything that I could get out of it.
    If you want more picks, then trade AJ, Geno, Carlos, Boyd, etc. Any player with 3+ years in the league that you can get picks for, trade them. But do not trade the #1 pick.

  10. #10
    Bird Bath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 09
    Location
    Caketown
    Posts
    1,582

    I am an Alabama fan and I happen to love Joe! He has moxie and will lead this team! Hopefully Mike Brown can’t screw this up! Do not pass on Joe! He is going to be a pro bowler. I am certain!!!

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    34,267

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    Bengals are 30th in total defensive yards and 25th in scoring defense.
    26th in yards from scrimmage offense and 32nd in scoring offense.

    A QB won't fix all of that. I'd take @theguru's plan and milk that pick for everything that I could get out of it.
    Also, I will add this. The offense has been so horrifically bad it makes the defense look a lot worse than it is. If the offense could get leads in games and control the clock some, the defense would have much better stats. The defensive line and defensive backs are not bad at all. The linebackers have been horrible. That is what needs to be fixed on the defense.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Jan 08
    Posts
    6,612

    Question, is Joe Burrow the next Akili Smith, David Klingler or Jack Thompson? I am not sold on a qb that had one really good year of college football. This team has so many issues and if trading the pick nets them more picks then take them.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Aug 17
    Posts
    261

    Quote Originally Posted by futurecoach View Post
    Which way ultimately gets you closer to the end goal, which should be a championship. I’m sorry we seen Dalton with talent around him and he ultimately was the weak link the majority of those years.

    Is getting say a Joe Borrow going to fix everything to where they are super bowl contenders next year? Nope. Is getting Joe Borrow and he ends up being a true franchise QB getting them closer to a title better than keeping Dalton and paying him between 20 to 30 million a year? Yes.

    With Dalton can they possibly maybe even get to the playoffs as early as next year with that plan? Yes. However if the end goal is for a title, doing that doesn’t get them closer because we seen Dalton fail four times already with talent around him and quite honestly failed badly with how bad he played.

    The goal should be 2022. Get Borrow and do whatever you have to do to surround him with the best players possibly on offense. 2021 focus on the defense and maybe adding another piece. They maybe even could compete for a playoff spot by then. Then in 2022 they should be in a spot where they should go all out to do whatever they can to go for it all that year. Borrow would be in third year of rookie contract, so truly could still spend money and go for it.
    You cannot make free agents decide to come to a small market no matter what you pay. Most are about "their brand". Burrows has been in an offense this season designed to maximize his talent and the exceptional talent around him. He will not have exceptional talent around him here. I hope Dalton does go somewhere else and does great so people like you are happy. He's a slightly above average QB on a team of average to below players. At least this year it's not Marvin Lewis' fault.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Oct 10
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    11,154

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    If you want more picks, then trade AJ, Geno, Carlos, Boyd, etc. Any player with 3+ years in the league that you can get picks for, trade them. But do not trade the #1 pick.
    I agree with all points.

  15. #15
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    88,604

    Quote Originally Posted by futurecoach View Post
    Sorry for the long post.
    I mean, that's the biggest lie ever told on this site.

Top