NFL proposing adding a 7th playoff team in each conference

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the NFL's new playoff proposal?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Think it is a good idea.

    8 53.33%
  • Think it is bad idea.

    1 6.67%
  • No opinion either way.

    6 40.00%
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Dec 08
    Posts
    21,764

    NFL proposing adding a 7th playoff team in each conference

    It looks like the NFL may be adding a 7th playoff team in each conference as early as this season as they are in negotiations with the players union. This is probably all about money by adding the 7th team there would only be 1 team in each conference receiving a bye. If this was in place last season in the AFC all teams with a winning record got in the playoffs. The 8-8 Steelers would have been the 7th team. In the NFC the 9-7 Rams would have been the 7th team.
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    bugatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Location
    You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime. - Mark Allen
    Posts
    42,724

    I think I have this right. Under the current system, seven teams have failed to make the playoffs winning 10+ games in NFL history. Under this proposal, all but one of those teams would have made it.

    It doesn't add any weeks to the playoff season, which is good. To me, doing away with the automatic home playoff game to a division winner is more worthwhile, but what do I know.

  3. #3
    B-Ball-fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Posts
    14,175

    A 7th playoff team is fine with me. Will make the last couple weeks of the regular season even more interesting than it is now to see who gets in.

  4. #4
    Jumpman4004's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    Livin' Life
    Posts
    498

    When the NFL orginally made a change to 12 playoff teams there were 28 teams in the league. Now there are 32, so moving to 14 isn't a big deal to me.

    12/28=42.8% of teams make the playoffs
    14/32=43.75% of teams make the playoffs

  5. #5
    NEERFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 01
    Location
    Contest Stalwart per mcpapa
    Posts
    35,976

    6th seeds have two SB victories. All about the Benjamins.

  6. #6
    sweet16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    The real WKY
    Posts
    22,399

    Let them pick their opponent like the MLB is proposing.





    I'm obviously joking. The MLB is about to ruin their playoffs.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Posts
    9,162

    Quote Originally Posted by NEERFAN View Post
    6th seeds have two SB victories. All about the Benjamins.
    Isn't everything about the money? Every business has to continue to evolve and develop revenue streams or things will eventually dry up. Being "about the Benjamins" is necessary for survival, and I'm not sure why that's always considered a negative.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Dec 17
    Posts
    1,717

    Quote Originally Posted by rjs4470 View Post
    Isn't everything about the money? Every business has to continue to evolve and develop revenue streams or things will eventually dry up. Being "about the Benjamins" is necessary for survival, and I'm not sure why that's always considered a negative.
    You're watering down the product, why should a 500 record deserve a playoff berth. Maybe the owners should learn how to control costs.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Posts
    9,162

    Quote Originally Posted by 4 Quarters View Post
    You're watering down the product, why should a 500 record deserve a playoff berth. Maybe the owners should learn how to control costs.
    I'd argue that if there is a need that can be met, or if there is a demand, why not provide it? If networks will televise the extra games, and if fans are going to show up and pay money to watch those games, the NFL would be crazy not to provide them. Perhaps the additional revenue helps the league toward expansion, which would then create new jobs, and give more good teams opportunities.
    Again, if there is a way to grow revenue, I see no reason for any business not to pursue it. Nobody complains when other business release new products, or pursure additional revenue streams. I don't get why pro sports should be any different.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Dec 17
    Posts
    1,717

    Quote Originally Posted by rjs4470 View Post
    I'd argue that if there is a need that can be met, or if there is a demand, why not provide it? If networks will televise the extra games, and if fans are going to show up and pay money to watch those games, the NFL would be crazy not to provide them. Perhaps the additional revenue helps the league toward expansion, which would then create new jobs, and give more good teams opportunities.
    Again, if there is a way to grow revenue, I see no reason for any business not to pursue it. Nobody complains when other business release new products, or pursure additional revenue streams. I don't get why pro sports should be any different.
    You need to keep the supply and demand in balance, just ask NASCAR.

  11. #11
    bugatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Location
    You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime. - Mark Allen
    Posts
    42,724

    Will be interesting to track this story. This is part of the Owners’ offer, without much compensation for said extra game (proposal does eliminate a preseason game). The NFLPA normally gets taken to the woodshed as they are generally playing checkers while ownership plays chess at negotiation time. D. Smith is far and away the worst union executive in professional sports. The NFL side is the best professional organization when it comes to negotiations. Not a good combo for the players.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Posts
    9,162

    Quote Originally Posted by 4 Quarters View Post
    You need to keep the supply and demand in balance, just ask NASCAR.
    They would be adding two Playoff football games, bringing the total to 13 from 11. Not exactly flooding the market. Nascar is a 10 month season, with 4-5 hour events every weekend, with a playoff system that no one understands. I get your point, but the NFL is a totally different animal. 2 extra playoff games is not going to take the NFL anywhere near the depths that NASCAR has sunk to.

  13. #13
    NEERFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 01
    Location
    Contest Stalwart per mcpapa
    Posts
    35,976

    Quote Originally Posted by rjs4470 View Post
    Isn't everything about the money? Every business has to continue to evolve and develop revenue streams or things will eventually dry up. Being "about the Benjamins" is necessary for survival, and I'm not sure why that's always considered a negative.
    Do I want it, nope, but I'll watch it. If I can make a buck on Fanduel it'll be a good day but the thought of Duck Hodges vs. Pat Mahomes on Saturday night isn't all that appealing.

  14. #14
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    51,047

    More Football is nearly always a good thing. I like this in that it doesn't add any rounds or weeks to the current playoff schedule.

Top