New England - Maybe Cheated?

Page 2 of ... 33 comments | 1055 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16

    Join Date
    Sep 06
    Location
    Taylor Mill
    Posts
    9,759

    I don't see the big deal here, teams steal signs of the apposing team in every sport.
    Advertisement

  2. #17
    sweet16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    The real WKY
    Posts
    22,400

    Quote Originally Posted by PutMeInCoach
    I don't see the big deal here, teams steal signs of the apposing team in every sport.

    But they don't video the coaches to do it. I am for stealing signs in the game but you can't video the coaching staff.

  3. #18
    tenaciousD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    Rocking out at the ROCK
    Posts
    1,695

    A lot of teams have complained about this before. Hmmmm makes you wonder.

  4. #19

    Join Date
    Jun 06
    Posts
    964

    Quote Originally Posted by sweet16
    But they don't video the coaches to do it. I am for stealing signs in the game but you can't video the coaching staff.
    We may just be finding out about a new fad in the coaching ranks. People probably have done it for some time now, but just now getting discovered.

    Still couldn't stop Moss anyways. He's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!

  5. #20
    cvillecat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 06
    Location
    Kickin' It At The Shoe
    Posts
    8,984

    Quote Originally Posted by 98NCCalum
    There's a reason coaches hold there play cards over there mouths when they talk.
    Some would have to have extremely large playbooks

  6. #21

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Location
    Louisville; Mason, OH
    Posts
    41,510

    Quote Originally Posted by LRCW
    Are you a Patriots fan?
    Not by any stretch....I hate their coach with a passion.

  7. #22
    stickymitts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Location
    "Win for Quinn"
    Posts
    19,321

    Stealing signs is not a big deal, however stealing signs using video assistance is. I hope the Commish makes an example out of the Pats, because I can't stand them...

  8. #23

    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    somerset
    Posts
    942

    If that makes them feel better with their win.

  9. #24
    _Scarface_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 07
    Location
    UNC 86 UK 77...Can you say 4 victories in a row for the Heels vs UK?...Gardner Webb?...WOW!
    Posts
    4,388

    Report: Patriots could lose 'multiple' picks
    Report: NFL weighing Patriots' punishment for spying on Jets
    http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10346460


    NEW YORK -- The NFL reportedly is considering punishing the New England Patriots for spying on the New York Jets in their season opener.

    ESPN.com, citing league sources, reported Tuesday that commissioner Roger Goodell has determined the Patriots violated league rules Sunday when they videotaped defensive signals by the Jets' coaches. But the report also said the Patriots have not yet presented their case to the league.

    The website's report said Goodell is considering severe sanctions, including docking the Patriots "multiple draft picks."

    A league spokesman, however, said only that an investigation is under way. Both teams said no decision has been made.

    NFL security confiscated a video camera and tape from a Patriots employee during New England's 38-14 victory Sunday. The employee was accused of aiming his camera at the Jets' defensive coaches as they signaled to players on the field.

    Last season, the Green Bay Packers had an issue with a man wearing a Patriots staff credential who was carrying a video camera on their sideline.

    "The rule is that no video recording devices of any kind are permitted to be in use in the coaches' booth, on the field, or in the locker room during the game," the league said Monday in a statement from spokesman Greg Aiello. "Clubs have specifically been reminded in the past that the videotaping of an opponent's offensive or defensive signals on the sidelines is prohibited.

  10. #25

    Join Date
    Jun 02
    Posts
    32,704

    There are also stories that the Pats mic'd their D linemen to get line calls and then match them up with plays for later use.

  11. #26
    _Scarface_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 07
    Location
    UNC 86 UK 77...Can you say 4 victories in a row for the Heels vs UK?...Gardner Webb?...WOW!
    Posts
    4,388

    Link?

  12. #27
    Youth Coach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 05
    Posts
    642

    They likely did it, in my opinion, and will be slapped with a small penalty, after which they will simply find a new way to get and/or keep their competitive advantage. Much like performance enhancers, it is very difficult to police and the reward far exceeds the risk of being caught.

  13. #28

    Join Date
    Jan 07
    Location
    The question is not how far. The question is, do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?
    Posts
    9,489

    I think using video is crossing the line but trying to figure out signals is part of the game imo. There's a reason why teams have multiple guys giving out play signals to the QB at the same time.

  14. #29
    goherd96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 02
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    4,412

    Actually, they only have one...the play caller on the sidelines now mics the plays to the QB's helmet headset. The days of signaling in offensive plays has been gone for several years now...

  15. #30
    goherd96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 02
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    4,412

    Quote Originally Posted by Youth Coach
    They likely did it, in my opinion, and will be slapped with a small penalty, after which they will simply find a new way to get and/or keep their competitive advantage. Much like performance enhancers, it is very difficult to police and the reward far exceeds the risk of being caught.
    That's why the need for strict, stiff penalties here to curb this type of behavior. Lose multiple draft picks and teams will be more unwilling to risk it...

Top