Dolphins Interested In Palmer

Page 2 of general manager Jeff Ireland and coach Tony Sparano, scouts and anyone else with a voice within the organization, must know which veterans could be ava... 27 comments | 770 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    ColonelCrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 02
    Location
    Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    34,251

    Quote Originally Posted by bugatti View Post
    I am the furthest thing from a Brown supporter, but he is playing this one right for the time being. You do not always bow to players demands especially when the player is overvaluing his own stock. Palmer could have helped his case a lot more by actually producing.
    How is Palmer overvaluing his own stock? He has simply said trade me or I'm going to retire. He doesn't care what Cincinnati gets in return (nor should he).
    Advertisement

  2. #17
    bugatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Location
    You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime. - Mark Allen
    Posts
    42,945

    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelCrazy View Post
    How is Palmer overvaluing his own stock? He has simply said trade me or I'm going to retire. He doesn't care what Cincinnati gets in return (nor should he).
    Because he is indirectly saying his retirement will detrimentally affect the team. Had he performed better, that would be a lot more harsh of a threat.

  3. #18
    Pancake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 03
    Location
    Walking the stairway to 7
    Posts
    9,150

    Quote Originally Posted by EZ Living View Post
    Who really cares? At this point and time football should be the farthest thing from anybody's mind. I hope they go out on strike and never come back. This whole thing makes me sick at my stomach. Between Brown's stubbornness, Palmer's whining and the lockout let's go watch some baseball.
    Watch baseball????

  4. #19
    ColonelCrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 02
    Location
    Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    34,251

    Quote Originally Posted by bugatti View Post
    Because he is indirectly saying his retirement will detrimentally affect the team. Had he performed better, that would be a lot more harsh of a threat.
    If Palmer retires, it will detrimentally affect the team.

  5. #20

    Join Date
    Sep 09
    Location
    Wherever I am needed.
    Posts
    6,281

    The irony about the whole CP thing kills me. Most on here trash the guy out and talk about how terrible he is and his complete lack of production as an NFL QB. Then I hear people say Mike Brown is an idiot and should trade him while he still has value, the ole' "get something for him while you can" argument.............perhaps a high draft pick for him. If he's so bad, how could he be worth anything? I say let the inept QB retire, because he's worthless right?? Which is it? He's terrible or trade him for a high draft pick? Not sure if can be both, can it?

  6. #21
    ColonelCrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 02
    Location
    Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    34,251

    Quote Originally Posted by RomanEmpire View Post
    The irony about the whole CP thing kills me. Most on here trash the guy out and talk about how terrible he is and his complete lack of production as an NFL QB. Then I hear people say Mike Brown is an idiot and should trade him while he still has value, the ole' "get something for him while you can" argument.............perhaps a high draft pick for him. If he's so bad, how could he be worth anything? I say let the inept QB retire, because he's worthless right?? Which is it? He's terrible or trade him for a high draft pick? Not sure if can be both, can it?


    So many people have been calling for Palmer's head. Now, it looks like they'll get it...and Dan Lefevour.

  7. #22
    Flotsam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Location
    In the BGP Dugout Doling Out Hitting Advice
    Posts
    6,147

    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelCrazy View Post


    So many people have been calling for Palmer's head. Now, it looks like they'll get it...and Dan Lefevour.
    Not necessarily. If Carson Palmer is gone we can fall back on Jordan Palmer. And if he doesn't work out we might land Arnold Palmer. And if he finks out we can turn to Betsy Palmer. (OK...I'm out of Palmers.)

  8. #23

    Join Date
    Jan 08
    Posts
    9,045

    Quote Originally Posted by RomanEmpire View Post
    The irony about the whole CP thing kills me. Most on here trash the guy out and talk about how terrible he is and his complete lack of production as an NFL QB. Then I hear people say Mike Brown is an idiot and should trade him while he still has value, the ole' "get something for him while you can" argument.............perhaps a high draft pick for him. If he's so bad, how could he be worth anything? I say let the inept QB retire, because he's worthless right?? Which is it? He's terrible or trade him for a high draft pick? Not sure if can be both, can it?
    I agree. I've been one of his most outspoken supporters on here but you have to deal him if you're Brown. There's a 50/50 chance he just sucks but everybody else in the league hasn't caught on yet so a 1st rounder would be gold. If he is still good I'd say his ceiling is 10th to 12th in the league which still isn't that great. He and others can blame the receivers for some of his struggles (I'm in that camp). But even he has to see he's not as good as he was before the arm injury. No matter what if he's not willing to play for the Bengals why sit on him unless its for your ego?

  9. #24

    Join Date
    Jan 03
    Location
    Have love in your heart and an ax in your hand. Hug and swing discriminately- Jim Wendler
    Posts
    15,356

    Quote Originally Posted by NamecipS View Post
    Brown's towing the hardline now because he can't do anything anyway. He's put the ball back in CP's court for now. When the CBA is worked out, MAYBE Mike will re-evaluate. Maybe not, but right now it's a mute point isn't it?
    If this was Belichek, then I would be right on board with you here. It's the smart business decision. Why trade CP when you have no idea what is going to happen w/ the salary cap, rookie pay scale, free agency...? Then I remember that we are talking about Mike Brown, and realize that he's just being his typical stubborn self. Remember, we lost 2 first round picks for 85 b/c Brown wanted to make a point.

  10. #25

    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Location
    5 Miles from nowhere
    Posts
    20,629

    I don't think any rumors of teams interested in Carson are worth entertaining. Mike Brown said he wouldn't trade him, so I don't expect him to be traded. If there's one thing we should have learned about Mr. Brown, it is that he sticks to his guns in situations like this.

    If Carson Palmer plays football in 2011, it will be in a Bengals uniform. End of story.

  11. #26

    At a prior firm, I represented the Bengals and got to work with Mike Brown and Katie (as a side note, they are both very good people). Mike is one very shrewd person. Mike may say he won't trade Palmer (and maybe he won't) but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Mike fully intends to trade Palmer but is saying he won't in order to be able to negotiate from a position of great leverage with a team or teams that want(s) Palmer. If a person doesn't want to sell an item but the person wanting to buy it really wants the item, he generally pays more from it. This I "won't trade Palmer" stuff from Mike might be nothing more than gaining negotiation leverage before the negotiations even begin. Negotiation 101: gain the high ground before the battle begins.

  12. #27

    Quote Originally Posted by mexitucky View Post
    If this was Belichek, then I would be right on board with you here. It's the smart business decision. Why trade CP when you have no idea what is going to happen w/ the salary cap, rookie pay scale, free agency...? Then I remember that we are talking about Mike Brown, and realize that he's just being his typical stubborn self. Remember, we lost 2 first round picks for 85 b/c Brown wanted to make a point.
    Mex, with all respect, you can think the bolded if you want (and you may be right) but I don't think 85 wasn't traded because Mike was making a point. I think Mike didn't trade 85 because Mike genuinely thought 85 could help the Bengals win. In dealing with Mike, I've never concluded that Mike was stubborn. He very carefully analyzed every decision. Some things he gave on, if it helped him get where he wanted to get to. Other things he didn't give on, if it didn't help him. If Mike has a "flaw" in my opinion, it's not being stubborn; rather, it's his intense pride in his knowledge of football. He really believes he knows more about the game than others do. I think that's why he hasn't hired a GM. I think that Mike exerted a lot of influence on Marvin's handling of players and on Xs and Os decisions. Again, I'm guessing here, but I think Marvin told Mike that in order for Marvin to return as the head coach, Marvin was going to make a lot more of those decisions. I think Mike realized that he wasn't going to get an accomplished head coach to replace Marvin, and thus Mike capitulated to Marvin's "demands" for more control. Another guess is that Marvin couldn't stand the Ocho shenanigans of years past but Mike told him to put up with them because Mike thought Ocho could help the Bengals win. So Marvin had to tolerate the gold cleates and other incidents like the donkey in the hailstorm. If I'm correct in Marvin successfully drawing a line in the sand, it could explain Marvin's recent comments about Ocho. I also think (another guess by me) that Marvin has made it known to the Bengal players that the Bengals will return to a run first offense this year (similar to the Steelers) and that's the major reason why Palmer wants out. He doesn't want to spend his twilight years handing the ball off more than 50% of the time. Benson's comments, after it was announced that Marvin would return, also cause me to think that Marvin will be allowed to run the offense he wants and will be allowed to deal with the players the way he wants (and that means running the ball and not tolerating Ocho's shenanigans any more).

    I hope I'm right in all of the above. Perhaps I'm an optimist, but with a run first offense and a lot more discipline being required of the players, I believe the Bengals can be very successful this season with or without Palmer.

  13. #28
    ColonelCrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 02
    Location
    Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    34,251

    Quote Originally Posted by leatherneck View Post
    If Mike has a "flaw" in my opinion, it's not being stubborn; rather, it's his intense pride in his knowledge of football. He really believes he knows more about the game than others do. I think that's why he hasn't hired a GM. .
    Okay, so Mike Brown isn't stubborn, he's just stupid.

Top